14bit RAW DNG silent pics! (silent.mo)

Started by Francis, April 26, 2013, 03:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shuggyrasklat

combining it with fps override will be a pretty great implementation!

1%

The 422s worked with fps override and seemed in sync.

Haven't tried burst yet with FPS tho.

52 frames in 720P 60 overridden to 24.

shuggyrasklat

can we get a midday release?!

1%

I just uploaded 6D... I dunno about anyone else... With FPS override on for some reason the 720P image has more missing pixels on the right... fps override off its perfect  ???

hirethestache

Quote from: 1% on April 28, 2013, 10:59:04 PM
I just uploaded 6D... I dunno about anyone else... With FPS override on for some reason the 720P image has more missing pixels on the right... fps override off its perfect  ???

Just posted a new topic, would love yours or Alex's input.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5261.0

@HireTheStache
www.HireTheStache.com
C100, 5D3, 5D2, 6D

1%

It still needs to remap the button...  AF moves and can ruin your burst.

a1ex

I always keep AF on the back button

1%

Thats good for 5d3 and 6D in theory but not for really for EOSM or 600D and the like.

hjfilmspeed

this is sooooo great. I was testing the dng sequence from neumannfilms. I know that you need to crop down to get rid of black areas and funny stuff on bottom of frame but then it made the stair stepping/little artifacts a little more noticeable (better than all-1 tho). i kept the same 16x9 crop but zoomed out a bit (in adobe camera raw) and found the detail to be much more pleasing (but there was a black bar on left). Even if we had to give it more of 2:35:1 crop (to save buffer) using the full with with of that image would be worth it. Is this possible? I know its in early stages and again i know nothing about firmware code so sorry if this is a dumb question. Again amazing work as always ML and all who helped!

1%

I don't think any-more black. I didn't check lvrec. I don't think it had any issues before.

You can crop the DNGs smaller in theory and do fps override.  I guess longest mode was 760P with 24P override. 640-30P is full HD sized on 6D, they probably just feed the LV image to the encoder and leave the regular buffer running.

Its like 2 seconds of DNG burst or less... I have to make files I took into videos and see how fluid they play back. No clue what dude did.

shuggyrasklat

burst on mkii yayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!

shuggyrasklat

what is, burst with end trigger. records loads it says, really only 36..?

Yoshiyuki Blade

Wow, even if it's only 1.5s @ 24 fps, getting a glimpse of the camera's absolute best quality in real-time is incredible! Can anything out there capture these frames at 105 MB/s continuously? :P

Gonna play around with this a little more!

edit: Tested a clip at lossless 4:4:4 8-bit, but my computer couldn't decode it in real-time lol. As expected, there's not a much of a noticeable difference in real life footage.

N.Mendes

And what about a recorder like the "Odyssey 7" (which is not available yet)

http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=17127

Raw 24p on the 5d3 sounds possible with this, am i right?

Rush

Quote from: N.Mendes on April 29, 2013, 07:08:10 AM
And what about a recorder like the "Odyssey 7" (which is not available yet)
HDMI is limited to "up to 1080p60 422 8-bit" - it says there.
5D3 don't have SDI output which needed to feed RAW to recorder.
Greetings from Russia!

a1ex

Can it record uncompressed?

With hyperdeck shuttle I couldn't record the RAW (sharpening, luma averaging, 16-235 scaling), so I gave up after trying for a few days. I'm not 100% sure if these artifacts are done in the camera or in the recorder, but the sharpening halos can be visible on my monitor too.

N.Mendes

Yes, it can record uncompressed, maybe this recorder will be a part of the solution? It will be available this summer (july for the "q" version, and august for the basic one).

The hyperdeck shuttle isn't supposed to record raw, only prores 4:2:2 10bits.. that's probably why you couldn't record raw i guess?

Or give a try again with the official firmware that canon will release tomorrow, the result can be different, i don't know..

ted ramasola

@Alex and other developers,

From someone who does commercials and corporate videos, all I need is a minute! If you can sustain the dng for 1440 frames we are good to go! If that is difficult then at least 30 seconds, 720 frames. Commercials are just between a minute or 30 seconds in its entirety anyway.

I tested the nightly builds dated 29th and its at 10-11 frames in burst. I'm using a 5DII

I noticed in my test that the 1st recording is ok. No more garbled bottom part of the frame and no more black frame on the left. However on the 2nd recording immediately after the first, I noticed a strong pink cast to the image.

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

ozcancelik

In the future is it possible to preview DNG images from the camera?

haeki

Is the datarate limited by internal hardware or by the cf/sd-card?

Maybe there's a hardware workaround, if it's only the card which is limiting? Using some CF-Adapter you can write to ssd with or something?

Anyways, great work so far!

a1ex

Run the benchmarks from the Debug menu to find out.

nanomad

Quote from: haeki on April 29, 2013, 10:50:32 AM
Is the datarate limited by internal hardware or by the cf/sd-card?

Maybe there's a hardware workaround, if it's only the card which is limiting? Using some CF-Adapter you can write to ssd with or something?

Anyways, great work so far!

I'd say that the main limit is the memory fragmentation followed by the data rate of the cad. If memory chunks were bigger (16M?) we would reach higher writing speeds.

That being said, if you have a crappy card there's not much you can do (run the bench as a1ex suggested and you'll see what's the theoretical limit of the card/controller combination)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

haeki

Quote from: nanomad on April 29, 2013, 11:00:54 AM
I'd say that the main limit is the memory fragmentation followed by the data rate of the cad. If memory chunks were bigger (16M?) we would reach higher writing speeds.

That being said, if you have a crappy card there's not much you can do (run the bench as a1ex suggested and you'll see what's the theoretical limit of the card/controller combination)

On my 7D with a 400x Transcend it's 35MB/s... I don't know what's the limiting factor here. I know that the fragmentation is a big factor as well, but if it's not only one factor my thought was that an external ssd which can be plug in the cf-slot via an adapter could be a solution and maybe the chunksize can be improved as well (maybe)... but that was just theoretical thinking without knowing what's possible, that's why I was asking. :-)

P337

OMG A1ex, what did you say to EOSHD?
http://www.eoshd.com/content/10250/canon-5d-2k-raw-feed-update-1920x720-possible-on-1000x-card

btw haeki, a "400x" card should be about 60MB/s but that 400x rating is probably for read speeds, the 7D supports UDMA 7 speeds which would imply it's faster then UDMA 6, which puts its potential max write speed somewhere between 133MB/s and 167MB/s (that's in 1000x territory).  The 7D buffer also supports up to 25 17.9MP 14bit RAW images at about 20MBs per file...  I think your bottleneck is your card's write speed.

(The 5D3 also supports UDMA 7 speeds but with apparently a smaller RAW buffer and bigger RAW files)