14bit RAW DNG silent pics! (silent.mo)

Started by Francis, April 26, 2013, 03:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Just tried on my 60D and it's working fine...

Maybe you can upload your config files? (the settings folder)

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on October 21, 2013, 03:34:20 PM
Just tried on my 60D and it's working fine... Maybe you can upload your config files? (the settings folder)

I don't understand this at all ... sure I can upload my current config, but I even tried it with an unmodified trunk with default settings.

Do I have some special video mode enabled for silent pictures to work, or are there any other potential problems that could trigger this behavior on the 60d while the 6d works fine with me doing absolutely the same things? I'll try an official nightly build and then report back if I got lucky, maybe it's my current compiler setup ... but thanks for helping me debug this!

a1ex

I tried in photo mode (don't remember which one). Again, can't try it until I get back home (later this week).

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on October 21, 2013, 03:34:20 PM
Just tried on my 60D and it's working fine...

Ok, I've found the cause - it's a compiler issue. I tried both Windows (cygwin x64) and Linux (Ubuntu x64) with both the newest arm gcc from Launchpad as well as the 2012-q4 that's in ml's Makefile.user) and it works in -Os mode, but produces the problems described in -O1/2/3... what I still don't understand why these obviously work for Nightly and not for me - but the important thing for me is that at least I'm able to compile it flawlessly, though not at high optimization atm.

marekk

How to remove a vertical stripes from a DNG file captured using silent pics feature ?? I would like to prepare for some trip with my 5D and timelapses in lv mode. I would like to take shoots every 10-20 seconds so 0.5 fps override with mlv_rec is to fast for me..

garry23

If it helps I use silent DNG with the intervalometer and get good results. That is LV mode, not 'movie' mode.

I add back the missing EXIF data using ExifToolGUI.

marekk

ok but vertical stripes are removed by raw2dng and mlv_dump.. DNG files captured by silenc pics module are not processed by vertical stripes corrector..

garry23

My experience is that the DNGs are clean and usable, ie no artifacts.

BTW I'm using a 5DIII.

My workflow for a fixed exposure timelapse is:
- a-ETTR to set exposure, ensure in manual mode and take note of Exposure values
- set intervalometer
- capture DNGs
- do holy grail adjustments if require. I only adjust my 1 stop so I know what the jumps are
- correct EXIF data in EXIFToolsGUI, having noted the key frame changes. This step is a little labour intensive if you used holy grail adjustments
- upscale if you wish to, ie more pixels for virtual panning
- use LR, LRTimelapse and Panolapse

a1ex

The easiest workaround would be to convert the DNG to RAW (compile dng2raw.c), and then back to DNG with raw2dng.

(of course, you only need to do this if you actually get the artifact)

Side note: if you use photo mode LiveView (instead of movie mode), you may want to use a manual lens, or enable exposure override; otherwise, all your images will be taken wide-open.

marekk

I will try to add some code to include exif data in dng files captured by silent pics feature..

Quote from: garry23 on June 19, 2014, 08:09:16 PM
My experience is that the DNGs are clean and usable, ie no artifacts.

BTW I'm using a 5DIII.

My workflow for a fixed exposure timelapse is:
- a-ETTR to set exposure, ensure in manual mode and take note of Exposure values
- set intervalometer
- capture DNGs
- do holy grail adjustments if require. I only adjust my 1 stop so I know what the jumps are
- correct EXIF data in EXIFToolsGUI, having noted the key frame changes. This step is a little labour intensive if you used holy grail adjustments
- upscale if you wish to, ie more pixels for virtual panning
- use LR, LRTimelapse and Panolapse

marekk

What do you think about option in MLV_REC to capture frames using intervalometer settings instead of fps ? 

garry23

Marekk

If you could get the basic EXIF working in silent DNG that would really make this feature a timelapsers friend, ie no shutter action, a-ETTR to handle the holy grail cases, and DNG use straight in LR  and LRT, ie where you need the EXIF data.

I'm afraid I'm not a coder so can not offer any help, 'only' a tester and user :-o)

marekk

It looks like we can simply modify silent_pic_save_dng in silent.c

static void silent_pic_save_dng(char* filename, struct raw_info * raw_info)
{
    dng_set_shutter(1, (int)(1000000.0f/(float)(1000.0f * (1000000.0f / (float)get_current_shutter_reciprocal_x1000()))));
    dng_set_aperture(lens_info.aperture * 10, 100);
    dng_set_lensmodel((char*)lens_info.name);
    dng_set_focal(lens_info.focal_len, 1);

if(lens_info.iso == 0)
    {
        dng_set_iso(lens_info.iso_auto);
    }
    else
    {
        dng_set_iso(lens_info.iso);
    }

dng_set_camname((char*)camera_model);
    save_dng(filename, raw_info);
}

garry23

Matekk

Looks logical even to me non-coder eyes :-)

Have you tried if?

Is it a simple matter of dropping your code somewhere? Or do you need someone to compile it in a module?

Cheers

Garry

marekk

Yes, I tested it on 5D3 1.2.3 and it works... but my dng files still need vertical stripes correction..

Audionut

Quote from: marekk on June 24, 2014, 11:42:38 AM
but my dng files still need vertical stripes correction..

Is this in movie mode?  I never noticed stripes in my photo mode silent DNGs.

marekk

Quote from: Audionut on June 24, 2014, 11:49:10 AM
Is this in movie mode?  I never noticed stripes in my photo mode silent DNGs.

Yes, in movie mode. I have to check it in photo mode and let you know.

Audionut

Ok, I'll compile your code and confirm it working if you like.

marekk

You should to add this at the beginning of silent.c

#include <lens.h>
#include <fps.h>

Audionut

edit:  Solved, needed #include "../../src/chdk-dng.h" also.

And confirmed working.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34113196/ML/61760002.DNG

marekk

garry23

Marekk

I'm also using a 5DIII, but have never seen any artifacts, including vertical stripes.

I have taken many DNG timelapses and not one stripe.

Thanks for the EXIF fix, looking forward to an a-ETTR based holy grail timelapse test.

Cheers

Garry

gerk.raisen

If confirmed working could someone please submit a pull request? :)
I support too the idea of Marekk to have an option in MLV_REC to capture frames using intervalometer settings instead of fps.
Have all the timelapses in only one file, and you can use chmee software to create CDNG it will be very comfortable...

marekk

Could you check this dng file ? Do I need vertical stripes correction or not ? It was taken in photo mode.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5syx42bpujqkumq/61800000.DNG