Please Help - 50D ML Install issues

Started by ruthyruth, May 31, 2013, 09:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruthyruth

Hi!
I'm ready to install ML2.3 on my 50D FW1.0.9 camera, and I want to make sure I do things right the first time...

So, I've read through the "install" guide for ML2.3 on the wiki.magiclantern.fm/install page and I'm VERY unsure how to proceed. Perhaps someone can help me.

On reading the Install 2.3 guide, the "Very Important" and "Get the right camera firmware version" and "First install guide - Step 1. Preparing your camera" are all VERY clear and easy to understand. I also come away from this part with the understanding that I should proceed carefully and even if I don't make a mistake my camera may be destroyed. OK, I get all of that, and I'm willing to proceed. So...following the instructions in "Get the right camera firmware version", I updated my 50D firmware with the Canon FW v1.0.9 update and now the camera has that firmware on it.

Then I carefully follow / confirm all the bullet points in Step 1 of the "First install guide", and I'm ready to continue.

But then the install guide totally falls apart on "Step 2. Installation".

The first bullet point ""Format the card in the camera" is clear enough.

But then bullet point number two  says "Unzip all of the files from ML zip archive to the root of your card". - How? Do I do this with the camera connected to my computer, or do I remove the card and use a card reader to do this? There is no clear instructions on this. This is not clear to my thick head, and I do not want to make a mistake and destroy my camera by doing it wrong.

Bullet point number three says "Launch the Firmware Update process." - Wasn't I supposed to have already done that in step one? (Which I did - I went to the Canon website, got the V1.0.9 firmware upgrade for my 50D and successfully upgraded the firmware). Was I not supposed to do this before putting ML on my CF card? Also, the Canon firmware upgrade did not show a "green" "Success!" screen on completion of the firmware upgrade - but the camera shows on the menu that the FW version number is 1.0.9.  Also, the LED never blinked during the process as it indicates that it should do according to the first sub-bullet point of bullet point number three of Step 2.

At this point I'm stuck because I'm not sure how to proceed. Should I low-level format the CF card, put the Canon firmware on it with the ML files together and redo the firmware upgrade?

Please forgive me if I misunderstood something, or I'm not reading the correct installation guide. I just don't want to burn my camera by making a false move.

Thank everyone in advance who can help me with this.

Regards,
-RR

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: ruthyruth on May 31, 2013, 09:02:25 PM
But then bullet point number two  says "Unzip all of the files from ML zip archive to the root of your card". - How? Do I do this with the camera connected to my computer, or do I remove the card and use a card reader to do this? There is no clear instructions on this. This is not clear to my thick head, and I do not want to make a mistake and destroy my camera by doing it wrong.

Use a card reader

Bullet point number three says "Launch the Firmware Update process." - Wasn't I supposed to have already done that in step one?

Now taking about ML firmware.

(Which I did - I went to the Canon website, got the V1.0.9 firmware upgrade for my 50D and successfully upgraded the firmware). Was I not supposed to do this before putting ML on my CF card? Also, the Canon firmware upgrade did not show a "green" "Success!" screen on completion of the firmware upgrade - but the camera shows on the menu that the FW version number is 1.0.9.

You must have the proper Canon FW installed.  So if 1.0.9 is required and your camera shows 1.0.9 then it is ok.

From the wiki ....

Step 2. Installation

Format the card in the camera (low-level format).
+ take card out of camera and put it on the card reader
    Unzip all of the files from Magic Lantern zip archive to the root of your card.
+put card back on the camera and turn in ON

+this will...
    Launch the Firmware Update process.
        If the card LED is blinking for more than a few seconds, upgrade your Canon firmware from the links above (even if you already have the correct firmware version number!) and try again.

Once you see the green confirmation (ML) screen, restart your camera. Done.
    If something goes wrong, check the Troubleshooting section.

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

buildbyflying

Not sure if this helps, but I was having difficulty getting root access on mac. If you're on a pc it's a much more straight-forward process.

On pc, you'll see all the folders you need on the cf card.
On mac some of them seem to be hidden (which I imagine is an issue with using macboot and having root access *correct me if I'm wrong).

If you're having trouble from a pc, not sure what to tell you...

ruthyruth

Thank you buidbyflying and RenatoPhoto for your helpful replies!

I still have one more concern...

Step 2 bullet point 3 of the install process says "Launch the Firmware Update process", and RenatoPhoto says "Now talking about ML firmware."

OK, I understand that, but how does one "launch the firmware update process" for the ML firmware? After the ML files have been copied to the CF card and puts that card in the camera, will there be a new menu on the camera for the ML firmware installation? Does the act of putting the card in the camera launch the process? Maybe the author of the ML wiki firmware install instructions means that the Canon firmware firmware update process should be invoked again. But considering the ample warnings about "damaging" or "destroying" one's camera, I don't think it is wise to make assumptions that might lead to catastrophic results.

Thank you in advance for any tips!

Regards,
-RR

wesleydumont

I'm having a problem:
Have 50D v1.0.9, Card reader, 1000x Komputerbay card.
I have prepared the card using macroot - according to their instructions per 10.8 I have used Terminal and macboot.command to prepare the card. It appears to be sucessfully formatted at FAT32
Then per Install instructions -
I format the CF card - in 1.0.9 there is no 'Low Level' option - in camera.
I then place the CF card in the card reader (Lexar via FW800) and unzip the archive to the card (Here, I am unzipping the archive and dragging autoexec.bin and ML Folder to the EOS card). 
NOTE: that autoexec.bin and 'ML' folder are on the card but so are the folders created by the formatting in the camera.
I then follow instructions per 'Install' and install the card, with dial set to M, I turn camera 'On' and navigate to format the card again.
I'm getting the standard Canon menus and can't figure what I'm doing incorrectly.
Thanks for your help.

Update - What I was 'doing incorrectly' was 'Formatting' instead of 'Updating Firmware'  :-[

But now I have a new problem - which is probably a new topic - but I achieved the green 'Success' screen but upon turning the camera back on I had a message that 'dir not found' or similar.
I checked Firmware and it was listed as ML 2.3
I ejected the card and used my reader to make sure that I had installed all of the files etc. and indeed had.