[WONTFIX] Automated HDR exposure range based on RAW values?

Started by l_d_allan, April 18, 2013, 02:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

l_d_allan

Quote from: a1ex on April 17, 2013, 11:43:04 PM
Alright, now you have true RAW histogram and zebras. 5D2 only.

I wonder if ML could figure out an appropriate HDR range of exposures automatically, especially now that RAW histograms are becoming possible.

I suppose an approach would be to figure out the exposure that accomplishes ETTR, then an exposure that accomplishes what could be thought of ETTL for the deepest blacks encountered in the frame. The overall histogram from the combined images would "fit" in a histogram, with no "spikes" on the left or right.

garry23

a1ex

The difference will be 1 frame more or less, so not worth it.

l_d_allan

Quote from: garry23 on April 18, 2013, 03:25:44 PM
ML already does this auto bracketing.

Is that a capability implemented after the 2.3 stable release? So I'd need to download and install a "nightly build" to use?

BTW, is there something between the "Stable Release" and "Nightly Build" as far as stability and level of testing? I'm hesitant to try out a nightly build. Even if I wait a week or so for the "RAW histogram" to be tested by other, more experienced ML users, my speculation is that a week-old "nightly build" past that specific capability would have "latest, greatest" capabilities beyond "Raw histogram" that might be relatively unstable.

nanomad

Unfortunately we have no time to release a beta build as we are overloaded with work already.
What you (and the other users) could do is form a "testers" team, grab the latest Nightly build and start testing it programmatically by reporting bugs. After a while we should have a stable-ish release that we could tag as alpha or even beta maybe.
Let me know if you are interested, I can help with a new thread and an announcement if you want
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Audionut