Auto ETTR based on RAW histogram (ettr.mo)

Started by l_d_allan, April 20, 2013, 02:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: a1ex on August 30, 2013, 08:27:39 PM
I prefer to let the user choose whatever settings he wants, and just print a warning.
In C1 (shutter priority) if I put ISO in some manual value, then AutoETTR module does nothing and reaches a limit.  If I flip to Auto ISO then AETTR works but Midtones and Shadows system does not work.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on August 30, 2013, 07:50:19 PM
The hardest part is to think where I should put that in the menu.

Um, just add a Tigger Mode "Always warn" with the help line explaining that it beeps when the highlights are blown according to the ettr settings? The decisive part for me here is that I'd not need to look away from the vf.

Audionut

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on August 30, 2013, 08:55:02 PM
In C1 (shutter priority)

Try Tv mode rather then a custom mode.

Quote from: Marsu42 on August 30, 2013, 09:05:37 PM
Um, just add a Tigger Mode "Always warn" with the help line explaining that it beeps when the highlights are blown according to the ettr settings? The decisive part for me here is that I'd not need to look away from the vf.

Good idea.  Being able to set a warning for the midtones/shadows would be very handy too.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Audionut on August 30, 2013, 11:57:01 PM
Try Tv mode rather then a custom mode.

Negative Expo limits reach and no adjustment made.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Audionut

In the meantime, stick to M mode and use the exposure meter.

Marsu42

Quote from: Audionut on August 30, 2013, 11:57:01 PM
Good idea.  Being able to set a warning for the midtones/shadows would be very handy too.

Absolutely, I simply didn't want to push my luck by requesting too much, someone might tell me to do it myself and submit a pull request... but if we have a low warning beep for clipped shadows & a high for blown highlights (+ probably another beep for histogram midtone weight) there has to be an added option to toggle these individually. For me, the "blind" raw highlight warning is the most important one though.

RenatoPhoto

I have had this idea in my mind about AETTR so here it is:

There has been many times where the metering of the entire scene is not necessary.  Is there a way to reduce the metering (ETTR )analyzing area to 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 of the center image?  This is specially important for wildlife video and photography where the optimum distance to the subject cannot be easily obtained.

ceew

Sorry if this has been requested before..

I have been choosing aperture priority with m settings and in low light situations the shutter speed is about 1/100 per second and the iOS ramps up..

Is it possible to have the iOS setting used displayed above the histogram.. I have the histogram in the lower right position so having it maybe just above or below the histogram would be awesome.. Sometimes the iso is just too high .. Etc.. 12800 where I would probably choose to compromise my dof rather than choose such a high iso or even shutter speed, ie or using a tripod etc..

And also hard choose the current best  iso  choices 160,320,640,1250 etc.. Rather than 200,400,600,800.. Etc..

But the iso display above or near the histogram would be first on my wish list..

Canon 5d m3

Thank you..
Magic lantern is just awesome..

STELYA

Just started playing with this one and I may be missing something ...
How to use it properly ? I mean I am in AV mode ... ETTR trigger is on 2xHalfShutter or AlwaysON , highlight goodbye is from 2-10% , EV from 1-4 .... RAW histogram/histogram hint enabled...clip GREEN.

I point my 6D at a high contrast scene and take one Canon measured photo then I enable ETTR by pressing 2xHalfShutter and it goes into LV ...beeps and thats it...Then I take another pic and it is almost the same as original... Am I using this feature wrong ? When to press shutter to take ETTRed photo? I remember it was working in early stage but not sure as I played with it just little.

Id like to use it instead of Canon's metering all the time, it is something I was reading about before ML and it's a great feature.
using latest alpha

Tnx

Marsu42

Quote from: STELYA on September 23, 2013, 09:45:32 AM
Just started playing with this one and I may be missing something ...

To try auto-ettr, use it in live view because it can re-meter w/o flipping the mirror - then you'll instantly see the result with different sources.

Quote from: STELYA on September 23, 2013, 09:45:32 AM
Id like to use it instead of Canon's metering all the time, it is something I was reading about before ML and it's a great feature.

I'd also like to do this, but the lag of a-ettr is about 3 seconds - if the scene changed since then, your exposure will be broken.

This can result in almost comical situations, recently I was a-ettr'ing a horse going between trees from shadow to sun wit about a 5sec interval and ml managed to mis-expose every shot :-p ... its such a shame Canon only meters for jpeg, but in many situations it cannot be helped.

a1ex

I had some attempts to integrate it with Canon metering, but it ended up screwing the exposure completely.

Canon metering seems to be strongly center-weighted, while ETTR is not. So, moving the camera a little changed Canon metered value enough to clip the highlights or cause ETTR to require another test picture.

The only case when it helped was with the camera on a tripod, pointing it to a static scene, and adjusting the aperture manually back and forth. In this case, Canon meter was good enough to get the correct exposure instantly or with at most one intermediate test pic. But in most other cases that I've tried, it didn't help.

Maybe something like "adjust settings if Canon meter shows a difference of 2 stops or more" would work better.

If any of you wants to try, I can share a patch.

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on September 23, 2013, 09:59:06 AM
Maybe something like "adjust settings if Canon meter shows a difference of 2 stops or more" would work better. If any of you wants to try, I can share a patch.

Absolutely, I'm always willing to try stuff if there is no danger of bricking my camera(s)... and this sounds like it would be able to address my main concern with a-ettr, at least a bit.

STELYA

I could try as well no worries :)

But to do it I just need to be clear what I have to do in order to get it to work...

I activate it (double press)
It goes into scan mode...beeps and returns to normal...
Whaddaya need to do next? Take the shot (when to take it) ?
Do I need to hold down second shutter down all the way through scanning and then do a full press?
And where can I see that Ive done it right?
Trying this in Av mode btw.

Cheers
Srry for being a noob here ;)

Audionut

a1ex, wouldn't it be better to use AETTR to work out the needed EC?  There then comes a reliance on the photographer when using AETTR in semi-auto modes to ensure the scene does not change dramatically.  Just as with normal EC determinations.

a1ex

Audionut

From a photography standpoint, autosnap is probably the best option to use.  If your exposure settings were already correct before autosnap, you get your photo.  Else, you still get photos while AETTR is doing its calculations.  ie:  You don't miss your moments.

It would be handy to have autosnap linked to set/half shutter.  In this way, when needed you can press set/halfS have have autosnap perform its actions, but most importantly, the setting is then reset back to a state where it needs set/halfS to trigger the operation again.  This would save having to enter the menu to disable autosnap, or, running around in autosnap mode killing the shutter.

All other options, link to dualISO, SNR limits etc would remain fixed at the last calculation.

Where lighting conditions change significantly, AETTR would be a quick exposure option where images are still taken while the calculation is being performed.

v8rrc

Is it possible to change the "Link to Dual ISO" option so that it'll use Dual ISO just for ettr pictures and not for the ones taken with out ettr without having to go back to the menu to turn Dual ISO on and off every time?
It's just that I find that if I'm taking a lot of snapshots Dual ISO is just a lot more work and if I've got a proper shot I just use the half press double click and its a nuisance to have to go into the menu every time to turn Dual ISO on and then off again.

Marsu42

Quote from: Audionut on September 23, 2013, 12:47:45 PM
From a photography standpoint, autosnap is probably the best option to use.  If your exposure settings were already correct before autosnap, you get your photo.  Else, you still get photos while AETTR is doing its calculations.  ie:  You don't miss your moments.

If the moments lasts longer than 5 seconds, which doesn't qualify as "moment" to me :-p ... anyway: I find auto-snap awkward because you never know if ettr will take another picture, so you have to hold the camera with your eye to the vf and wait what happens, always seems a bit comical to me. With "always on" you at least have control over taking another shot or not and also don't use much time when pressing the shutter manually.

Quote from: v8rrc on October 01, 2013, 12:30:26 PM
Is it possible to change the "Link to Dual ISO" option so that it'll use Dual ISO just for ettr pictures and not for the ones taken with out ettr without having to go back to the menu to turn Dual ISO on and off every time?

+1 ... imho ettr should "silently" use dual_iso w/o permanently enabling/disabling it or modifying the dual_iso settings as this will screw up the dual_iso values in normal shooting mode. So basically ettr should save dual_iso values before taking the shot, then restore them.

tobi_ml

I tested the AETTR features today and just can say wow ;D! But still I have one question:
AETTR changes the ISO and the Shuttertime, but it does NOT change the aperture - Am I right so far ?
I tried it to combine it with the TV Mode to get also a aperture ramping, but this gave me a flickering (One time the completly opened aperture like bevor in Manual Mode, then the correct aperture from the TV Mode and so on...) with an intervall of about 1 second  :o. I made the timelapse in silent mode (Raw DNG, NO dual iso) on a 5D3.
So which is the best method to controll all 3 - the aperture, the shuttertime and the ISO - only with AETTR in M Mode (or are their better solutions to do this)?
Thanks for your answers :)

RenatoPhoto

tobi_ml

Oh yes, I forget to mention that, any other hints for "silent" day to night timelapses?

gideonplus

is it possible to make the ETTR in Video RAW\MLV changing only the ISO first
and NOT changing the shutter speed which is imporant for not having stoboscopic
effect when the shutter is more then twice faster then frame rate in video mode ?

dallasill0

I have 6d 1.1.3 (October) Tragic Lantern, but in ETTR settings I dont find Shadow SNR and Midtones SNR... Anybody knows why???

Audionut

l_d_allan

Quote from: dallasill0 on January 28, 2014, 02:31:45 PM
I have 6d 1.1.3 (October) Tragic Lantern, but in ETTR settings I dont find Shadow SNR and Midtones SNR... Anybody knows why???

The latest TL for the 6d has time-stamp of Jan 18,  2014.

I just installed the Jan 18 version. Seems fine. However, there doesn't seem to be any way to determine just what version is active.