Canon 70d - lenses quiet enough to use AF in video mode, and ones who aren't.

Started by Shield, October 24, 2013, 11:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shield

In my quest for good lenses to use for AF on the new 70d, I have picked up a few to test, and I have tested some that I use on the 5d3.

So far, these lenses are way too noisy for AF video (shotgun mic wouldn't even help):

Sigma 17-50 2.8 HSM VC (great lens otherwise - I shot with an external mic 2 ft away outdoors! and you could still hear it AF).
Tamron 17-50 2.8 - Didn't own it but heard the AF on Youtube - older screw drive lens that's pretty loud
Canon 50mm 1.4 - loud

The following are lenses that are pretty close to being acceptable that I've tried.
Canon 35mm F/2 IS - love the lens, but probably just a tad too loud.  Still heard the lens with external mic.  Just barely.
Sigma 30mm ART 1.4 - in a quiet room, no, but outdoors, probably ok.  Way quieter than the 17-50.

Here's lenses that I feel confident are quiet enough for video AF use:
Obviously, the 18-55 and 18-135 STM Canon's
24mm F/2.8 IS Canon (not as quiet as STM, and it's a shade quieter than the 35mm).  It's close.
Tamron 24-70 USD VC 2.8 - Actually pretty acceptable.
Canon 70-200 IS II 2.8 - Pretty darn quiet too

Let me know if there's interest and I can create a video with all the above lenses for you to hear, minus the Canon 50/1.4 and 35/2 IS (I no longer have them).

Thanks!

Shawn

Shield

Masejoer

Quiet forum. I will take the time to thank you for this comparison! I'm really curious about other lenses now.

painya

Yes this is a goldmine of information, and I would expect plenty of views and replies if ML had been ported. Never the less thank you for your tests.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

Masejoer

I will add that my focusing noise didn't change one bit when in a quiet room and using a rode videomic non-pro. So far I've only found the STM lenses quiet. I'm really curious how the Sigma 18-35mm lens does, as it should be my next lens purchase.

amazinrobert

Hi Shield,
Have you been able to test the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II or any other lens with that kind of range?