600D audio in arrow shortcuts - increase Mic boost first, then Analog gain

Started by Rush, March 01, 2013, 12:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rush

600D analog audio gain can be controlled by two values - Mic boost and Analog gain.
I read that Mic boost is better that Analog gain in terms of quality.

In current version of ML arrow shortcuts control Analog gain value only.
It will be much more usefull to control both Analog gain and Mic boost.

Possible values:
- Analog gain -12, -3, 0, +6, +15, +24, +33, +35
- Mic boost 0, +5, +10, +15, +20, +25, +30

So, from lowest gain to highest, it will switch like that:

• A 0, M 0 (Analog gain 0, Mic boost 0)
  • A 0, M +5
  • A 0, M+10
  • ... etc ...
  • A 0, M +30
  • A +6, M +30
  • ... etc ...
  • A +35, M +30.

BTW, negative analog gain is completely useless (on 600D at least) - http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=4722
Greetings from Russia!

1%

Except that not all sources need mic boost. Only directly plugged in external mics and passive pre-amps. Anything powered won't be using mic boost.

Rush

Quote from: 1% on March 01, 2013, 04:15:29 PM
Except that not all sources need mic boost. Only directly plugged in external mics and passive pre-amps. Anything powered won't be using mic boost.
What you mean by "Anything powered"? I have Rode Videomic Pro which is powered by 9V battery and have internal pre-amp, but it can gain by Mic boost.
Greetings from Russia!

1%

I feed audio from a wall powered pre-amp and the mics go into that. 0 mic boost works, any mic boost and source is too hot.

Rush

Quote from: 1% on March 01, 2013, 04:37:14 PM
I feed audio from a wall powered pre-amp and the mics go into that. 0 mic boost works, any mic boost and source is too hot.
Wow... So Mic boost can damage or break audio source? Don't feel any heat difference with my Rode mic.
Greetings from Russia!

Francis

Rush

QuoteAnything powered won't be using mic boost.

And won't be using "Analog gain" too...
But why you mention it? Most of us record sound from Mics and need fast control of audio gain in-camera. My suggestion sets goal on implementing it.
Greetings from Russia!

Rush

Greetings from Russia!

1%

Analog gain is just gain. Mic boost I think ups the power on top of gain like on other crappy codecs... ie windows.

Rush

If it's hard to control both analog gains with one shortcut, can I ask you to control "Mic boost" instead of "Analog gain" with arrow shortcuts? It is preferred way to increase analog gain for 600D because of lower noise floor compared to "Analog gain".
Greetings from Russia!