[DONE] Shutter speed fine tuning

Started by starfish, April 11, 2013, 10:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starfish

Hi everybody,

I often have to film hardware with included LED lights or hardware screens, which are flickering in certain high frequencies. The flickering is invisible to the eye, but as soon as you film it, it get's very obvious (because of the non synchronized speeds of hardware LEDs/screens and camera shutter). The only way to get rid of it seems to fine tune the shutter speed to unusual values like 1/35.57 for example (depending on the filmed hardware). Up to now I only found this possibility in Canon XF100/105, Canon C100/300 (Clear scan) and Sony EX1/3 (Extended clear scan). Would it be possible to ad something similar to 5D II/III via ML?

Thanks and best,
s.

a1ex

Technically possible only for 60D, 5D3, maybe also 600D and digic V cameras (via FRAME_SHUTTER_OVERRIDE). Maybe integrate it with the extreme shutter speed menu? (it uses the same mechanism).

For other cameras, FPS override is the only hope.

starfish

Would be a reason to switch from 5D2 to 5D3 for me, if it would be implemented.

a1ex

Seems to work, shutter speed can be adjusted in 20-microsecond steps. Please check the math:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/8750db7afe91

(the same feature can be used for very fast shutter speeds, if you fine-tune from 1/4000).

starfish

Wow, that was fast: thanks! :)

So this feature will be included in the latest nightly build, but will only work on 60D and 5D3, right?

1%

Should work on 6D too. The original did.

http://youtu.be/1FwyncLUTYc

*have 2 small issues.

Shutter speeds on the bottom don't display altered values, goes shutt-> shutter.
Also sometimes it misses and you get a flicker... not so much on LCD only see it on my CRT. I have refresh rate set too high for the camera on there I think.

starfish

We rented a 5D3 to give the shutter speed fine tuning a try, but now I realized that there there is a ML beta 5D3 (which works), but that the nightly builds are not compatible to the 5D3 yet. So right now there's no chance to try this feature on the 5D3?

japanda

Quote from: a1ex on April 11, 2013, 11:42:05 AM
Technically possible only for 60D, 5D3, maybe also 600D and digic V cameras (via FRAME_SHUTTER_OVERRIDE). Maybe integrate it with the extreme shutter speed menu? (it uses the same mechanism).

For other cameras, FPS override is the only hope.

hi there. is there a chance this shutter speed fine tuning patch or FPS override will work on 550D? also, it sounds like shutter speed fine tuning is preferred over FPS override when dealing with OP's issue, is that right, or are they both viable solutions? thx

mariano

Is there any way I can use this clear scan function on my 60d or is still in development?  Thank you.

Audionut