[WONTFIX] Continuous canon sensor cleaning function as anti aliasing filter

Started by Levas, May 26, 2014, 11:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levas

;D

stupid idea but:

Would it be possible to activate the canon lens cleaning function(shaking the first low pas filter continuous) while recording raw video ?
And would it be possible that the lens cleaning function would act as a anti aliasing filter for video ?

Audionut

Possible, yes.  Sony does IS with it's sensor, and IIRC, uses this for the method you describe.

However, the Canon part is clearly only designed to be used at camera power on/off.  So I would assume that it's rated lifespan is somewhat low, and using it on a continuous basis would quickly lead to failure.

I'll tentatively label this as WONTFIX, on that basis.

Levas

Lifespan was the first thing I'm worried about too.
But how sure are you that the piezo electric motor canon uses, is not beefy enough to run longer times ?
It's certainly designed to go on and off lot's of times (but run for short period of time.)

Do you, or somebody else here, know the lifespan of piezo electric motors ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectric_motor

But then again, I don't know how good/bad the resulting anti aliasing effect would be, if it's too good we have resolution lost, if it's too bad, it won't fix anti aliasing.

Audionut

Quote from: Levas on May 27, 2014, 11:05:23 AM
But then again, I don't know how good/bad the resulting anti aliasing effect would be, if it's too good we have resolution lost, if it's too bad, it won't fix anti aliasing.

Another reason why WONTFIX applies here IMO.

Quote[WONTFIX] - We believe it might be technically possible, but we don't think it's worth spending development time on it. Feel free to investigate the problem yourself and submit a patch if you succeed.

Of course, an actual developer may decide otherwise, and my labeling of this thread will have zero effect on that :)

As a first step, you may try looking at this, and seeing if you can trigger it during a recording.  But I doubt it will be that easy.

Levas

Thanks for the quick reaction.
You're right, WONTFIX is the right status.  :)

Posted a question in the sensor cleaning module topic, the story continues here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8217.new#new