5Dc in Unified doesn't compile

Started by Totte, April 10, 2013, 06:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrax

I've made the pull request to 0xAF fork, now doing it to the main repo, let you decide wich one keep. ;)

EDIT: done both.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

scrax

Updated both the pull request.

Will post a compiled autoexec later, I have to check what to include.
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Totte

Thanks, guys! I was able to compile a working autoexec.bin from https://bitbucket.org/0xAF/magic-lantern-5dc-port-wip yesterday. (Still had to modify the makefile to "PICOC = n" though)
Is there any hope at all that PICOC could be made to work with 5Dc, or is the hardware just too limited, as was implied earlier in this thread?

Oh, and I also played with the camera for a little bit. The intervalometer works but I couldn't get the bulb timer to work, with or without the intervalometer. Is that perhaps because the Bulb mode is only detected correctly on the cameras that have B at the end of the T range, and not B as a separate choice on the mode dial?

scrax

Quote from: Totte on May 02, 2013, 12:40:50 PM
Thanks, guys! I was able to compile a working autoexec.bin from https://bitbucket.org/0xAF/magic-lantern-5dc-port-wip yesterday. (Still had to modify the makefile to "PICOC = n" though)
Is there any hope at all that PICOC could be made to work with 5Dc, or is the hardware just too limited, as was implied earlier in this thread?

Oh, and I also played with the camera for a little bit. The intervalometer works but I couldn't get the bulb timer to work, with or without the intervalometer. Is that perhaps because the Bulb mode is only detected correctly on the cameras that have B at the end of the T range, and not B as a separate choice on the mode dial?

Yes picoc has to be disabled and bulb mode is not yet detected. Now that last source can be compiled I'll try to fix what I can, that bulb thing is something that I'm missing too.
EDIT: Bulb mode is detected, so there was some problems somewhere else when ported, I doubt I can fix it.

For scripting there are other option being added to ML that looks better so better wait for that maybe.

Also keep in mind that there are some not working features enabled just to check them, I'll remove all what is not working in the menu like flash/no flash option.

If you want to help fell free to post a list with what's strange/weird or missing.

Totte

In addition to the Bulb timer, I've found that the Quick erase, Sticky half-pressed shutter button and Sticky DOF button don't do anything.
Those are all features that I personally would find useful, but I haven't checked if the sticky button features where even meant to be included for 5Dc or in beta4.

I haven't really tried all the ins and out the zebras and spot thingies, as I don't really see what they would be useful for, but they seem to be there and doing something. Very happy to see that the bracketing, intervalometer and MLU functions are all working like a charm.

Any pointers to what other scripting options could become available?

scrax

Quote from: Totte on May 05, 2013, 01:00:11 AM
In addition to the Bulb timer, I've found that the Quick erase, Sticky half-pressed shutter button and Sticky DOF button don't do anything.
Those are all features that I personally would find useful, but I haven't checked if the sticky button features where even meant to be included for 5Dc or in beta4.

I haven't really tried all the ins and out the zebras and spot thingies, as I don't really see what they would be useful for, but they seem to be there and doing something. Very happy to see that the bracketing, intervalometer and MLU functions are all working like a charm.

Any pointers to what other scripting options could become available?

Quick erase for me is working, it just selects the erase button when pressing trash in play mode.
Other two were enabled to check them and they don't work for me too, I've removed them from what could be the beta5

Totte

You are absolutely right, I rechecked the Quick erase now and it works! I could've sworn that there was absolutely no difference between the on/off settings last night  :-[

scrax

Quote from: Totte on May 05, 2013, 03:54:45 PM
You are absolutely right, I rechecked the Quick erase now and it works! I could've sworn that there was absolutely no difference between the on/off settings last night  :-[

So far I've enabled some small feat like sensor temp and warning for bad settings and removed all what is not working. I have some problem with spotmeter, zebra and magic zoom, once disabled they can't be turned on in any way.

Other things tried are focus patterns but the menu item don't shows up if enabled and camera didn't recognize the lens attached.

EDIT: I've fixed compiling with picoc enabled but without any script on card ML loads fine (and no scripts menu), with scripts loaded in ML/scripts/ the blue led stay on at boot and ML menu don't show up pressing trash, other than that camera seems to work like without ML.                       

scrax

got this assert running the test suite:

ML ASSERT:
PROP_LEN(80020015) = 0
at ../../src/property.c:293 (prop_request_change), task ?

Magic Lantern version : v2.3.NEXT.2013May05.5DC111.scrax
Mercurial changeset   : 9f1a1235a182+ (unified) tip
Built on 2013-05-05 21:14:32 by [email protected].
Free Memory  : 0K + 2443K

coutts

Quote from: scrax on May 05, 2013, 11:38:26 PM
got this assert running the test suite:

ML ASSERT:
PROP_LEN(80020015) = 0
at ../../src/property.c:293 (prop_request_change), task ?

Magic Lantern version : v2.3.NEXT.2013May05.5DC111.scrax
Mercurial changeset   : 9f1a1235a182+ (unified) tip
Built on 2013-05-05 21:14:32 by [email protected].
Free Memory  : 0K + 2443K

that property corresponds to PROP_REMOTE_SW1 which from what I recall, doesn't exist in the 5dc (it's missing SW1/SW2 properties). I remember this is the reason we can't trigger bulb exposures for bulb timer. I'm not at a developing computer atm (busy this week at work) but go to property.c and see what needs to be IFDEF'd out for the 5dc for this property. The prop len returns as 0 because the property is inert / doesn't exist in the 5dc.

coutts

Quote from: scrax on May 05, 2013, 04:16:17 PM
So far I've enabled some small feat like sensor temp and warning for bad settings and removed all what is not working. I have some problem with spotmeter, zebra and magic zoom, once disabled they can't be turned on in any way.

Other things tried are focus patterns but the menu item don't shows up if enabled and camera didn't recognize the lens attached.

EDIT: I've fixed compiling with picoc enabled but without any script on card ML loads fine (and no scripts menu), with scripts loaded in ML/scripts/ the blue led stay on at boot and ML menu don't show up pressing trash, other than that camera seems to work like without ML.                     

does the 5dc have the free memory available for scripting? (iirc it was pretty low on free memory)

Totte

My camera reports 2524k free memory right after start-up. Sounds like alot, is there anything that will really dig into those 2.4M during use?

BTW, would it be possible to hijack the shutter button full press and start the bulb timer that way instead of the awkward 1s half-press? When mode is set to B *and* bulb timer is set to on I think it's fair to assume that the user wants to use bulb timer.

scrax

Quote from: coutts on May 06, 2013, 07:54:52 PM
that property corresponds to PROP_REMOTE_SW1 which from what I recall, doesn't exist in the 5dc (it's missing SW1/SW2 properties). I remember this is the reason we can't trigger bulb exposures for bulb timer. I'm not at a developing computer atm (busy this week at work) but go to property.c and see what needs to be IFDEF'd out for the 5dc for this property. The prop len returns as 0 because the property is inert / doesn't exist in the 5dc.

How to find prop? I can't see them with prop spy it's all a black box

coutts

I think I found prop changes by hijacking the PropMgr manager and printing to console. The other problem with the 5dc was there's no full-press (and no way to find it), I had to dig deep just to find half press (using EMState changes to know when it happens). 5dc was quite difficult to port

scrax

I've updated some file with compilation fixes and the assert fix, here they are: https://bitbucket.org/600dplus/magic-lantern-5dc-port-wip-updated/overview

entrering Vram menu will hang ML so I think I'll remove it for 5DC.

EDIT: A binary compiled without picoc and debugmsg is here.

added some new feat like warning for bad settings, temp. I have to fix someFixed problems with the new menu system in overlay menu and thenso maybe could be considered a beta5, no?

It's running stability tests now, will post back results when finished. PASSED

scrax

fixed spotmeter, now is possible to toggle it, looking into the other two now...  :)
All fixed now, updated the link:D

Totte

I played around with your autoexec.bin and compiled my own with picoc just to confirm. The LED stays blue forever even with an empty SCRIPTS folder, so I guess the loading of picoc is just too much for 5Dc.

I now see why I was so confused about the Quick erase option earlier: It works only when deleting via the Play menu. If the erase button is pressed just after taking a pic, Cancel is selected as default regardless of the Quick erase setting. Perhaps this is obvious to some, and even how it is supposed to work, but it was certainly enough to confuse me :-\

scrax

Quote from: Totte on May 09, 2013, 10:10:19 PM
I now see why I was so confused about the Quick erase option earlier: It works only when deleting via the Play menu. If the erase button is pressed just after taking a pic, Cancel is selected as default regardless of the Quick erase setting. Perhaps this is obvious to some, and even how it is supposed to work, but it was certainly enough to confuse me :-\

I use hold for review in canon menu and Hold->play in ML so didn't noticed that, you are right quick erase works only form play mode.