[550D] Potential brick after installing ML

Started by ant1, January 05, 2015, 06:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ant1

Hi,

I installed a week ago ML (V 2.3) via the firmware update method after having updating the camera to the latest official Ça on firmware and resetting camera's settings. I used a 64gb micro  SD card in an adapter.

Everything went well and I was able to shoot as usual and get benefits from Magic Lantern features.

I am now on holidays in new Zealand. Everything was OK here too, shot hundred of pictures without any issue until this morning.
My friend took a picture and turned off the camera and put it back in its bag. A few minutes later, I tried to take another picture but the camera didn't turn on.
It feels dead, no led, no sound, no autofocus, nothing...
I tried to do everything I can since then :
- took the battery and SD card off. The lens too. Putting back the battery without memory card. Trying to boot in all modes. Tried to boot with a standard memory card without ML. Nothing worked....
- I took it to an official Canon retailer who cleaned the battery and memory card sockets and tested 2 other official Canon batteries without success

I am not really sure I defitinely bricked my camera but I am a little confused about what other step I can take... Not even sure it's related to ML but it has worked like a charm for couple of years until I installed ML so that's the most reasonable explanation.
Oh, forgot to mention that my warranty has expired 2 years ago!

Thanks for any help you could provide as it would be a pain not to picture such a trip!

Antoine.

walter_schulz

I suppose your retailer checked compartment switches, too. Not a single LED flashing up when started with/without card?
If there is a retailer you might be better off getting a replacement camera ASAP instead of going through some sort of diagnosis leading nowhere.

ant1

I do have a spare camera but definitely not as good as my 550D and without interchangeable lenses...
Also, I just can't let my camera for diagnosis in a city on which I'm in a middle of a road trip for 3 weeks only.
I'd have to wait to be back home for that...

But I am pretty sure there are steps of Things I can still do to try to isolate the issue and maybe (let's hope) fix it!

walter_schulz

Contact a1ex by PM and ask for help. He is Dr. Unbrick.

Datadogie

Always keep in mind it might be a Canon issue not ML.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.