Picture style with the most latitude?

Started by rawfa, April 08, 2013, 12:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rawfa

Hi guys,

I have been using the Superflat picture profile and I was wondering if there is any other that has more latitude than this one?

thanks

vanburen08

It's best to shoot with a profile that has better tones rather than latitude, because the canons have poor latitude. Pushing the curves too far in some profiles create horrible banding. I've shot many a flat profile, but have settled on a few. VisionColor has the best color reproduction I've seen. It works much like Neutral, but better. You'll get better latitude from the lenses you use over your profiles. Shooting horrible 8bit files doesn't help. After using Cinestyle, Marvel's, Panalog etc., I've found I have much more trouble with them in post. Profiles don't create latitude, they drop the IRE on the highlights, and push the shadows, but it is a false latitude. I've made progress with the 10 stops from canon by adding or subtracting light where needed. If you really want latitude, check out a contrast filter.

deleted.account

And now Vision Colors Cinetech, less teal & orange than Visiontech / VisionColor.

Personal preferance is Visiontech and Cinestyle. Not yet tried Cinetech.

rawfa

I´ve been trying out cinestyle and I´m very happy with the overall look. I´ll beging shooting a series tomorrow and I will use the MarkII and the NEX7 with a metabones speedbooster....so now I need to find a NEX7 profile to match the Cinestyle. "Neutral" like it says is the most neutral...but "Portrait" has visibly more detail...but at the cost of more grain.

N/A

+1 for VisionColor. Need to try out their other PS'a as well.

The skin tones are beautiful, never got results like those from cinestyle. Either the skin tones were too yellow-ish or just bland.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

deleted.account

Yeah, I was seeing yellow tinged highlights with Cinestyle, but concluded it was a white balance issue, specifically using a combination of ML features, custom auto WB and swapping picture profiles between recording and non recording.

For example, its recommended to set exposure using a more Neutral PS and swap to Cinestyle to record, ML lets us do that simply, however if first the WB is auto adjusted based on the Neutral PS before shooting, when swapping to Cinestyle to shoot, the WB setting is then not necessarily accurate and that's where I think the yellow highlights come from.

Since now I set WB in recording PS rather than viewing PS no more yellow highlights, unless I'm imagining it. Not done a definitive test.

N/A

Just bought cinelook/cinetech, I'm interested to see how cinestyle compares to cinetech. If I get a comparison video made I'll post it. Will be on the 600d with the Rokinon 35 cine.

edit:
I take that back, there's no point. Cinestyle definitely does have more "latitude" but at the expense of noise and unappealing colors. Cinetech has a decent amount of latitude, not as much as Cinestyle more than VisionColor, and has a more natural feel to it, would certainly be good for documentary work or run-n-gun shooting.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?