Best Alternative to GingerHDR for CineForm Users!

Started by iaremrsir, April 01, 2013, 01:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iaremrsir

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere before because I couldn't find anything after googling it for a good hour and a half. I believe I've stumbled upon a hidden gem inside of GoPro Cineform Studio Premium; pretty sure it can be done in the free version as well. I converted my footage and they came out merged to my extreme surprise and I almost had a heart attack. But I think I know what did the merging though. I brought 720p 48fps ML HDR footage into CF Studio and opened the advanced settings. They essentially look like this:

Frame Size: 1080p
Frame Rate: 24.00
     Maintain Audio Pitch: [ ]
Speed Up: [X]
Frame Blend (Motion Blur): [X] <----- I'm pretty sure this is what merges the frames to make them the pseudo-log files that result...
File Format: AVI
Quality: Film Scan 1
Remember Settings: [ ]

Please try this for yourself and reply with your findings and see if it gives you similar results. It is worlds faster than using GingerHDR EXR export and you get the benefits of the CF codec(like realtime playback in your NLE). One thing I'm not sure of is if CF Studio uses an optical flow algorithm to apply the motion blur (it looked good to me).

UPDATE:
So from further pixel peeping, it looks like CF Studio isn't mapping the exposure difference (like the option in GingerHDR to change from 1,2,3,4,5 EV). I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like.

Cheers,

Eddie