[IMPOSSIBLE] 6D wifi to trigger Speedlite flashes wirelessly?

Started by STELYA, March 30, 2013, 08:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STELYA

1%

I thought there was already a trigger for slave flashes in every canon. Over 802.11.. maybe I could tell it to fire that if connected thru phone or something else. The wifi takes over a bunch DMA channels so who knows if the "other" wireless trigger is still active.

Have no flash to test with. The one on the way is ETTL not wireless.

Walter Schulz

Today only a few canon DSLRs are able to trigger Canon's slave units without additional hardware. If you have one of the latest models with a flash device inside (7D, 60D, 600D, 650D, 700D. 1100D is missing this feature) Ben's your uncle. If not: Sorry, feel free to get lost or invest in a master device. The so called "wireless" feature is an optical communication channel, oneway only. Master device (if in master mode) sends out some flashes with the info required by the slave to act accordingly.
ST-E2 is a flash device with a filter blocking visible light.

The new 600ex-RT flashes are using bidirectional radio communication, but they are "only" talking to each other or a master device called ST-E3-RT.

6D = No flash built in -> Nope, won't trigger anything by it's own.

And because there is no flash with an WiFi interface there is no option to use this communication.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ciao, Walter

Francis

Also, radio triggers are dirt cheap and getting better every week.

Walter Schulz

Dirt cheap radio triggers won't do ETTL: No flash exposure metering, no grouping, not able to change any setting.

Ciao, Walter

Francis

Well the OP didn't mention anything about controls, just triggering. Regardless Yongnuo 622 transceivers are about $100 for a pair  and has all of those features you mentioned. That's in comparison to $400 a pair for Pocketwizards with those features. Haven't used them myself but have read nothing but good things. Dumb radio triggers are much cheaper still.

Walter Schulz

Thanks for the info. Yongnuo 622 has indeed interesting specs.

Ciao, Walter

STELYA

used that device year ago, was great, it also has IR assist beam by default no matter what lense you use. For reminder and you can check my thread couple of rows down ...Canon Speedlite flashes DO NOT fire this red beam to assist focus when ANY (and Canon) lens is in manual mode ... and also does this for wonderful M42 and such manual lenses which need this feature to make it way easier to focus. That thing alone added to ML would make me to contribute again :)
Cheers