[IMPOSSIBLE] Firing Optical Wireless flashes

Started by kotn_, March 30, 2013, 11:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kotn_

This might seem like a selfish post, although this could potentially be used by other flashes. But, I have a Konica Minolta 3600hs (d) flash that I used on Maxxum 5D. now I use a T2i, however, and I would love if I could trigger the flash wirlessly using the built in flash already on the T2i. From my understanding the Maxxum sent out a morse code like signal through its build in flash which was picked up by the External wireless flash to know when to fire. Would it be possible to implement this in the T2i to send out the same signal? Thanks!

Francis

Your flash needs to have an optical slave. Period. There is no magic morse code, just a sensor that detects sudden increases in light. The T2i can send out a triggering flash. Unfortunately the level is not manually adjustable but ML helps by allowing you to set a FEC of less than -2EV.

kotn_

Well I do know that it is triggered optically, I just don't know how to trigger it with my t2i's flash :/

Marsu42

Quote from: kotn_ on March 31, 2013, 08:27:41 AM
Well I do know that it is triggered optically, I just don't know how to trigger it with my t2i's flash :/

It think the "more" code you're talking of and that Canon has is the ettl protocol, it's a preflash not just to determine the exposure but also to instruct slave flashes (actually the communication is infrared).

This cannot be solved by Magic Lantern - either your slaves speak ettl or you have to disable ettl and trigger them by the main flash pulse itsself (that's the way you can make Nikon flash slaves work with Canon masters, or there are cheap "dumb" optical tiggers for pc-sync or the hotshoe available).

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Marsu42 on March 31, 2013, 01:10:08 PM(actually the communication is infrared).

ST-E2 is the only master device using infrared. The rest is using visible light.

Ciao, Walter

Francis

For about $20 you can get an optical slave that will work with any hotshoe flash. Or invest in some radio triggers, they are pretty cheap these days.

kotn_