[WONTFIX] Automatic WB offset (extended range)

Started by james_screech, March 25, 2013, 04:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james_screech

Its common for astrophotographers to remove one of the IR filters on DSLRs to improve the red sensitivity of cameras (and / or add light pollution rejection filters). This however gives normal daylight images a colour cast. Using CWB can overcome this for one lighting type but not all without re-doing the CWB. The standard "white balance correction" feature could help here however this does can not correct colour enough.

Would it be possible to either extend the range of white balance correction and / or have an automatic white balance correction feature? I envisage the automatic system being similar to CWB, if you take a picture of a white card with white balance set to automatic the software could then use the actual colour cast in the picture to correct the colour and apply this to all "standard" colour balance settings.

James

Betelgeuza

Quote from: james_screech on March 25, 2013, 04:12:19 PM
Its common for astrophotographers to remove one of the IR filters on DSLRs to improve the red sensitivity of cameras (and / or add light pollution rejection filters). This however gives normal daylight images a colour cast. Using CWB can overcome this for one lighting type but not all without re-doing the CWB. The standard "white balance correction" feature could help here however this does can not correct colour enough.

Would it be possible to either extend the range of white balance correction and / or have an automatic white balance correction feature? I envisage the automatic system being similar to CWB, if you take a picture of a white card with white balance set to automatic the software could then use the actual colour cast in the picture to correct the colour and apply this to all "standard" colour balance settings.

James

hi James...

sry for  asking a question  after your question.. maybe u know if there i possible to buy pollution filter what can be connected in regular way  ? what i mean by regular way...? just connect it  to lens.. or adding pollution filter its always matter of modifited  filter on sensor ?..
i was try to find pollution filter but none succes..i mean 58 mm pollution filter..
and second question maybe u heard about hydrogen aplha filters for  digital cameras ? some thing  what ca nbe connected to lenss ..?

maybe u have some links to vids how to remove IR filter  ? maybe pm ? THX

james_screech

Quote from: Betelgeuza on March 25, 2013, 05:32:38 PM

hi James...

sry for  asking a question  after your question.. maybe u know if there i possible to buy pollution filter what can be connected in regular way  ? what i mean by regular way...? just connect it  to lens.. or adding pollution filter its always matter of modifited  filter on sensor ?..
i was try to find pollution filter but none succes..i mean 58 mm pollution filter..
and second question maybe u heard about hydrogen aplha filters for  digital cameras ? some thing  what ca nbe connected to lenss ..?

maybe u have some links to vids how to remove IR filter  ? maybe pm ? THX

I'm not aware of any such filters that can be attached to normal photographic lens. I also don't know of any videos showing the removal of the IR filter, the procedure will vary with the camera, try googling for instructions for your camera, there are a few around.

James

a1ex

QuoteIts common for astrophotographers to remove one of the IR filters on DSLRs to improve the red sensitivity of cameras...

... and you are probably the only one of them who uses ML, so it's likely that only you can implement it.

Or, you can just shoot RAW, so you no longer care about in-camera WB.