[IMPOSSIBLE] can you do something for lens without chip?

Started by paxaerm, March 24, 2013, 01:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paxaerm

can you do something for lenses without a chip? something like emulation chip to autofocus worked.

g3gg0

and how should our software adjust the autofocus ring of your manual lens?!
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

halbmoki

I think, paxaerm meant the focus confirmation that works with EF-lenses in manual focus. So far, the only way to make it work is an adapter with a chip that makes the camera believe it is an autofocus lens.
Making this possible through software has been suggested many times. I don't exactly remember the reasons, but it is not possible and very unlikely to ever happen. I think it was because the lens communication doesn't use the main processor but some other chip that can't be adressed by ML.

ariznaf

Anyway,  the price of the confirmation chips,  a few euros,  don't justify too much effort in that feature,  but if it is trivial to implement it...

a1ex

If it's trivial, just grab the source code and implement it.

ariznaf

It seems I have not expressed it correctly sorry, my English is not all that good.

I don't know if it is trivial or even possible.
I just meant that if it were trivial to implement it would be a good thing to have it.
But I don't think it is so trivial,  and if  it takes a big effort,  the time and effort is in my opinion better inverted in other areas,  as confirmation chips are cheap and work flawlessly with manual lenses.

I haven't got the skills in firmware development or with canons firmware to implement even trivial tasks.

1%

Its not easy, you're not the fist to have this idea. If you read the wiki you'd know we've been trying to figure out how to communicate with the lens to do this but nobody has had any success.

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/SIO3_MREQ