[ALREADY DONE] Zebra at specific value instead of over- and underexposure

Started by manniac, March 23, 2013, 05:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manniac

Right now zebras only show values above or below a certain threshold, so that's good for detecting over- and underexposure.
I'm looking for a Zebra setting that only highlights values between 68% and 72% so I can assure that skin tones are always exposed correctly.
Could this be included in future builds?

manniac

But... false colors look terrible! :-O

I'd like to see the real colors while recording...

(also false colors are not yet available on the 5D Mark III)

a1ex

manniac

How do you know that I didn't try?
I tried it a few months ago with my Mark II. I think it's irritating, when all colors are wrong. It may work for you, but it doesn't for me.
There's no way to tell if the white balance is right - especially when moving from indoor to outdoor while filming.
And for a visual person like me it is not possible to evaluate the look when you have 3bit colors.

Also, as I said, the Mark III doesn't have the false color feature enabled.

a1ex

One of the false color palettes does exactly what you asked - highlights 70% luma and leaves the other colors unchanged. So, instead of trying, you just jumped to say it looks terrible.

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: manniac on March 24, 2013, 02:01:56 AM
There's no way to tell if the white balance is right - especially when moving from indoor to outdoor while filming.
And for a visual person like me it is not possible to evaluate the look when you have 3bit colors.

There's a reason why display presets exist..  ;)
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

manniac

I see... thanks. But you could have been more precise when you only said "use false colors" - how could I have known you didn't mean the standard settings? I can't read thoughts and it wasn't obvious to me, that this other setting exists.

Still.. I can't use the feature, because theres no version for the Mark III that supports false colors.

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: manniac on March 25, 2013, 05:17:35 AM
I see... thanks. But you could have been more precise when you only said "use false colors" - how could I have known you didn't mean the standard settings? I can't read thoughts and it wasn't obvious to me, that this other setting exists.

That's why the userguide exists  :)
http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#false_color
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

manniac

I looked for that feature in the zebras settings (yes, I looked in the documentary), because when I saw it on a camera, it was part of the zebra settings.