AF IR assist beam on Speedlites when camera set to MF possible? very useful imho

Started by STELYA, March 22, 2013, 08:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STELYA

Well, had 550d with ML, worked like a magic....
Now have 6D , so FF quality will keep me happy for some time untill ML comes out... ::)

One annoying thing for us who shoot with manual (m42 and such) lenses and also use Canon lenses in MF mode is that the IR red assist beam on Speedlites does not fire at all with any settings. Same is for Canon lenses when in MF mode. So stupid... I guess IR then lights up only when AF motor is running which makes no sense.
It would be great to make this IR red beam light up to support focus confirmation either with Canon lenses when set to MF or other manual lenses ( I have 3 versions of chipped adapters, EMF , Optix, no name so camera gets info that a lens is attached and gives AF confirm ) .

Dont you think so? Imho very useful feature, makes big difference. :o ;D

1%

I have to buy a flash. A1ex doesn't shoot flash and I don't have one either yet. Don't know exactly what is possible yet because I haven't tried.

STELYA

If other users figured out how to do it please share :) , but that would be awesome to have

Cheers

1%

Since you have the adapters... does 6D overexpose with them like 60D and 5d3. My adapter doesn't work so haven't been able to test any manual lenses.

STELYA

Well, to be true...sometimes does over sometimes under but  I think it depens on the lens, either way correctable with no fuss... but that is my oppinion, for some I use spot and for some average, had no problems . Manual lenses are great fun :)  I also noticed, but will have to doublecheck, that it depends on F number set on adapter alone, eg if you are using 1.4 lens adapter should be set to 1.4...have seen minor changes in ev by doing that .

Cheers

1%

So it sets up expo sim based on set adapter aperture... I think thats the bug.

STELYA

Well cant confirm without testing how significant is the change, this is from memory, but my friend and I noticed similar behaviour...

Lets open a donation for Alex to buy a flash so we can solve this :)

STELYA

Well , I thought about it, havent figured out much :) but dont know if its possible to add a stiring or option to trick camera that AF lens is attached when manual lens is on ?

STELYA

Argh ... I bought myself a pair of Yongnuo transcievers 622c to trigger flashes and because they have built IR assist beam into them but apparently they are also triggered by camera's AF assist beam, not by shutter-press as I hoped for... so that is another dead end street for manual lens users.
Has anyone put a second thought into this ? Trigger AF beam based on half-shutter press / could be option in ML. Or trick camera that AF lens is attached when manual one is on?

So far AF beam does not fire in any combination of settinfs when MF lens is on.
Again it would be great to assist our eyes and AF chips on our MF lenses at dark

Thanks and sorry for bump :)

STELYA

No one addressed this yet?
Enabling af ir beam when camera set to mf mode...
Otherwise it won't fire.
So many people wish to have this option whether on speedlite flash or ir enabled triggers.
Would help low light focusing with manual lenses.
Other option is af confirm chip that tricks camera that af lens is mounted. Is there such chip?
Thanks

dfort

The AF conformation chip you're asking about does exist. Search ebay for "Dandelion programmable chip" that might work for you though there are some horror stories out there from people that had problems programming it.

I'm not sure if lua can control the focus assist light. I couldn't find it in the [urlhttp://davidmilligan.github.io/ml-lua/modules/camera.html]ML Lua API[/url] but there has been several updates since that was written. If it can be controlled via lua this seems like something that a simple script can handle.

Then again maybe it isn't in the Magic Lantern API?