SD to CF adapter for video

Started by ReinisK, March 18, 2013, 07:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReinisK

Hey!

This year for weddings I'm going to rent a 5d2, I myself have a 550d and 5 16gb SD cards. I don't want to buy any CF cards for use with the rented 5d2, so here's the question - has anyone tried how well these adapters from CF to SD work for video?

Malcolm Debono

As far as I know they are quite limited when it comes to speed. Why not see if the rental company has any available for rental as well?
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

niklasR

Where are you renting from? Can't you rent some CF-cards with it (cheaply)? Or borrow some elsewhere? I mean, it's just for a day or two, and they're one of the more common memory cards people have..

Pileot

My experience thus far with the CF-SD adapters is its limited to the speed of the SD card. A 10mb/s write on an SD card will pretty much be useless for video. Some of the higher end SD cards have 50-80mb/s write speeds, which are more impressive however the CF adapter may cap out. Depends on the quality of the adapter, speed of the cards, and what speed you need. Calculate file size of clip / length of clip = mb/s. You need a card with at LEAST that much write speed otherwise you will have problems.

Good luck!

darkstarr

falkor

pretty much what pileot says, but im adding a bit..

i had a 30d, and currently have a 50d and used the cf-card adapter for sd(xc) class 10 cards.
i haven't had any issues with pictures,
but, even in my 60d (which takes sd cards straight) i have an issue with Transcend cards (sdxc 64gb class 10) that will start a video, but cannot do it in upper HD settings, (60fps), and i get errors...

it works for pictures just fine, and even high speed fast rate, but i would recomend a name brand ultra or PRO series (like my sandisk) type....(which are only 16gb, but still class 10, and not one issue yet)...

also, the cf-card adapters are in versions now...
i have a version 3, and a version 4..... both work perfectly.

hope that helps