QRcode for script import/export?

Started by scrax, March 17, 2013, 11:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrax

I was asking me if it could be possible to use QRcode to send scripts to the camera without using the card, with a QRdecoder in ML working with the liveview stream.
And maybe also generate qrcode incamera from script to share them with other ML body using silent pics on the destination and the display on the source.
Maybe big script are a problem, so far what I've tried to convert to qrcode seems to be short enought:
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Marsu42

I wouldn't know about the real life value of sending scripts (I'm fine with copying to the card), but if you do a qr decoder it would be also great if a script could just decode the contained information and show it on the display - I lack a smartphone that does that, but I'm always with my camera :-)

1%

Maybe use some of the photo studio functions to read it? They're there doing nothing.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on March 31, 2013, 11:08:02 PM
Maybe use some of the photo studio functions to read it? They're there doing nothing.

Um, sorry, I don't get that - what "photo studio functions"?

1%

All the cameras have functions to read barcodes because they released 7D with studio mode that locks you out of menus and reads QR codes for... uhh.. something.

On 6D I just managed to lock down the canon menus but all of the functions are there just not the dialogs... probably true for 600D/60D/5d3, etc.

So there may already be functions for reading and interpreting the barcodes which will run from canon fw instead of picoC and then you can process the results with picoc.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on April 01, 2013, 12:13:05 AM
All the cameras have functions to read barcodes because they released 7D with studio mode that locks you out of menus and reads QR codes for... uhh.. something.

Haha, now I know what the Canon fw devs do instead of implementing features for the rest of us and why my 60d is so low on memory with the bloated Canon firmware (in-camera raw editing anyone?)...

... but out of pure interest: Is there a documentation somewhere how for the barcode lockdown and how to unlock (imho an important aspect :-p) to camera again? Does it read the popular qr code or some other of the myriads of 2d or 3d code flavors?

Edit: Are there any other well-hidden ludicrous fw features no one knows about? I'd like to do a quiz on this sometime.

1%

Good question. I guess you'd want to read up on the 7D studio model and see what it does.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on April 01, 2013, 01:18:32 AM
Good question. I guess you'd want to read up on the 7D studio model and see what it does.

Ok, so the general camera versions aren't meant to do it, only with a special fw (makes sense, or it would call for hilarious Canon pranks on unsuspecting users :-p) ... here are two information links on it btw, though nothing in-depth about the barcodes:

http://www.gizmag.com/canon-eos-7d-studio-version/16060/
http://gizmodo.com/5614865/canon-eos-7d-studio-version-adds-security-functions-and-barcode-reading

But you're saying even the plain 7d has the code but just doesn't process it by default, or did I misunderstand you?

1%

Seems everything 7D and newer has the functions to read barcodes and the studio properties. They deleted all of the dialogs though. So I locked the canon menu to mymenu but had no place to put in the password.

I don't know if any of the barcode stuff runs when enabled but the the functions could be re-purposed.

IE, camera reads barcode and throws it decoded into a buffer, etc.

1%

Hmm.. maybe I can get the dialog to pop up... would be cool to have a password on the camera..

It does have barcode reading functions though:

FF118808:   'BarRecData:%s'    FF1185EC
FF118818:   'BarData:%s'    FF11860C
FF118824:   'MulchRead:%d, SeparateLang:%d'    FF118628
FF118844:   'CANON CLEAR'    FF118658
FF118850:   'BCR ClearCode:%s'    FF11867C
FF118874:   'BarCodeDataSizeOver:%ld,%ld'