VERY STRANGE PICTURES

Started by chris brown, March 11, 2013, 05:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris brown

After doing some of the suggested maneuvers in "putting ML on HOLD" in the General Q&A section last week,  I have had the following problems with my 5DM2.

Putting ML on HOLD
« Reply #6 on: Today at 04:46:26 PM »
QuoteModify
WARNING!! BEWARE:  After doing my above post of March 9, I went out on 3 occasions.   5D made some very strange images; several sorts of corrupted files.  Very odd color balance; high contrast with white halos around dark trees; a plaid-like, black grid pattern over the entire image, slightly noticeable at 100%, and very obvious at 300%; in a study of white branches against a dark blue lake, the branches turned  very green; sometimes blue, as though there is a blue channel overlay on the entire image. .   Sometimes the problem persists for 5-10 frames, and then went away.  Then comes back. 

I reloaded the firmware, and the problem persists.  I am using a CF card that does not have ML on it. 

I'm wondering if ML has caused this.  Next stop, the Canon people.

Anyone had a similar experience?  Please let me know.

Walter Schulz

1) Load factory default settings
2) Remove both batteries and wait for 10 minutes.
3) Load factory default settings

Take some pictures and look if problem persists.

Ciao, Walter

g3gg0

can you post some of the pictures?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Francis

Yes, please post examples. It sounds like bad chromatic aberration, at least the halos and the color-shifted fringing.

chris brown

I will as soon as I can find how to attach a .jpg...   Help?

scrax

Quote from: chris brown on March 12, 2013, 03:10:18 AM
I will as soon as I can find how to attach a .jpg...   Help?
use http://tinypic.com/ or some other similar service.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

chris brown

OK, let's see if this works.  Here's a link to a photo of a good and a bad version of a Macbeth color chart, taken just minutes apart:

It appears as though the red channel is not being recognized.  In fact, all three, RGB, channels appear to be intact in the file.  I have had other pics. where everything is green.  The gray grid appears sometimes. 

Below:  While the ghosting I mentioned does appear to be chromatic aberration, I don't believe it is. It shows mostly in the red channel, so maybe the problem is a red channel problem. Trying to correct it in PS doesn't to anything.  The gridding shows in all 3 channels.  This aberration,  the gridding, and the overall blue color are all visible in this image:   

I think there is something wacky in the processor in the camera.  I will know by the end of the week. 

Francis

Are these JPGs? If so, what do the RAWs look like?

g3gg0

looks like totally overcranked WB settings.
can you delete the ML config file?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Walter Schulz

A CR2-file would be fine. You can upload it to a filehoster like Rapidshare and link it here.

I'm curious about your workflow. Exif shows the source file name "_MG_1016.dng" and 5D Mark II is limited to JPG and CR2.

Ciao, Walter

Francis

Also the EXIF shows that Auto WB is on.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Francis on March 12, 2013, 08:32:11 PM
Also the EXIF shows that Auto WB is on.

I use AWB in photo mode all the time. RAW doesn't care, I believe. ;-)

Ciao, Walter

chris brown

The Raw files look essentially the same. 

I convert my raw CR2 files to the universal, .DNG for convenience reasons.  There is very little, almost unnoticeable, shift in this conversion.

White balance is daylight on the Macbeth, and auto for the snow scene, which would have actually reduced the blues, normally.

IMPORTANT TO NOTE:  The two Macbeth pics were taken in the exact same light, and the exact same settings, just a minute or two apart.  Comparing the 2 versions, it looks like red  is totally missing, and in fact when I take the good shot, and take out all the red in the red channel, and take out some  red from the blue channel, it looks a lot like the corrupted Macbeth file.   

There was no ML active; I was using a CF card without ML on it at all.

The issue here is way deeper than any settings I can make, or possibly ML for that matter. 

If you enlarge these photos, you can see the grid in the snow scene, and the mottled black texture in the bad Macbeth shot. 

It all suggests a major corruption of the firmware, which Canon can fix, not us mortals.  They said that my attempt to re-load the firmware, since it was the same version, wouldn't to anything.  They have a way to wipe and reinstall it.  I'm hoping this is the problem.

Or some major malfunction of the cameras processor, which I am hoping is not the problem, but I suspect is.

I hoped someone else might have had the same problem, and had already figured out what it was.  Maybe someone at ML knows.  How does one  get their attention?   

"Ah well, we may conjecture many things....."

Walter Schulz

Sorry to hear that, Chris!

You may give this one a try: Downgrade to V2.0.0 (or any other version < 2.0.3) via EOS Utility and upgrade to 2.0.3 after. Thus you will avoid the firmware update doing nothing at all. If your problem is firmware related it may be solved, I suppose.
If you have trouble finding an old version, just drop a line.

Ciao, Walter

chris brown

Interesting workaround. Clever.  Thanks for the idea.

Right now the camera is at Canon, as I must have it working and in my hands by next week for an artist's residency at the Grand Canyon, so I won't be able to give it a try, this time.   CB 

chris brown

OK, here's the final word on this camera.  Maybe it was a coincidence, maybe not, but just after using the technique of holding the SET button to de-activate ML on my 5DII, I had the problems discussed above.  This issue should somehow get into the "Wrecked Camera" forum of ML.

I sent the camera off to Canon.  They replaced the circuit board, two times.  No success.  Since the problem was intermittent, they didn't keep it around long enough to see the problem reappear, which it did.

The third time was a charm.  They figured the problem was the mother board, or the sensor, and that it was cheaper to replace the body with a new one, which they did.  My overall cost was just for the first repair.  Fair enough.

So, this may have just been a coincidence.  But I am understandably hesitant to reinstall ML, and continue using it. 

If anyone has had a problem similar to this one, I sure would like to know.  If someone is willing to "insure" my new body against this happening again, then I would be happy to resume using ML, and report the results!

As a sideline:  I had Canon's CPS  repair service, and they were totally helpful for me.  They paid all but the first postage, and gave me a loaner camera as I was in the middle of a huge, time limited project when this all happened.  They were fabulously helpful.