Putting ML on HOLD

Started by chris brown, March 08, 2013, 06:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris brown

Is there a simple way to turn off ML, and all its settings, when working on a still photograph?

Using a 5D-M2, with ML v.2.3.

For example: 

1.  When working on a still photo, when I want to use live view, magnified 10x to check my focus, the view on the screen gets all washed out.  There must be some live view setting to fix this, but I can't find it.

2.  When working with live view, doing a still photograph, I want to get rid of all the screen information, so that I can see the image only on the screen.  Clicking through the various "info" settings, they all have info. on the screen, no clear screen.

The easiest thing for me would be to have a way to just make ML go away when doing still photography.  Is there a way to do this?

Alternately, I could switch to a CF card without ML on it, if I have another one handy. 

Thanks 

Walter Schulz

Turn cam off, press "Set" button, turn camera on, release Set button and your camera is up and running and ML is deactivated.

Ciao, Walter

scrax

Quote from: chris brown on March 08, 2013, 06:00:31 PM
Is there a simple way to turn off ML, and all its settings, when working on a still photograph?

Using a 5D-M2, with ML v.2.3.

For example: 

1.  When working on a still photo, when I want to use live view, magnified 10x to check my focus, the view on the screen gets all washed out.  There must be some live view setting to fix this, but I can't find it.

2.  When working with live view, doing a still photograph, I want to get rid of all the screen information, so that I can see the image only on the screen.  Clicking through the various "info" settings, they all have info. on the screen, no clear screen.

The easiest thing for me would be to have a way to just make ML go away when doing still photography.  Is there a way to do this?

Alternately, I could switch to a CF card without ML on it, if I have another one handy. 

Thanks
for point 2:
set clear overlay options in display menu to halfshutter
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Francis

Or for 2, turn off Global Draw when you are shooting stills, then you will have no overlays on the display setting that typically shows the ML overlays.

mr.vijayaraghavan

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 08, 2013, 06:11:46 PM
Turn cam off, press "Set" button, turn camera on, release Set button and your camera is up and running and ML is deactivated.

Ciao, Walter

Good Walter!  You have cleared a doubt which has been subsisting for a very very long time and somewhat erroneously published by ML.  What ML said was to "press SET button while turning ON the camera" to disable ML.  It wasn't working on my 60d and that of many others.  There have been many threads where this issue was discussed with no satisfactory answer.  Even now, a thread named `ML MASTER SWITCH" is deliberating on somewhat the same issue.

Your clarification that the camera should be first in ON position and then "Switch Off the camera by pressing SET button and after a second or two switch On the camera by holding the SET button and then release SET button" works wonderful. 

I tried it on my 60d and it disabled ML.  I am so...happy!  With your permission, I shall post your suggestion on the ML MASTER SWITCH thread.

chris brown

Thanks all for the quick and helpful replies.
A couple of interesting responses in my camera:

Holding the set button then turning on the camera  turns ML off, but sometimes the camera gets stuck in sensor cleaning mode.  Pushing any number of buttons stops this. And ML is still turned off.

Turning Overlay/global draw/off turns off screen overlays. Nice.

Setting display/clear overlays to half-shutter doesn't do anything in my 5D-M2.  Neither do any of the options suggested in the manual. 

It's clear ML does just about everything one could imagine;  it's just a question of learning it all.  I hope someone writes "The ML Book!"

Thanks for the help.  CB

chris brown

WARNING!! BEWARE:  After doing my above post of March 9, I went out on 2 occasions.  Both times 5D made some very strange images; several sorts of corrupted files.  Very odd color balance; high contrast with white halos around dark trees; a plaid-like, black grid pattern over the entire image, slightly noticeable at 100%, and very obvious at 300%; in a study of white branches against a dark blue lake, the branches turned  very green; sometimes blue.   Sometimes the problem persists for 5-10 frames, and then went away.

I reloaded the firmware, and the problem persists. 

I'm wondering if ML has caused this.  Next stop, the Canon people. 

Pgutti

i just realised that when power the camera on with "Set" button held, ML is disabled.  BUT - ML is back after the cam is waked up from standby mode!  On my camera, there os no way to permanantly switching off ML.

g3gg0

yes, there is a way: insert a ML-free SD/CF card.

@chris brown:
it would be interesting what the problem was.
did you try without ML before running to canon?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

scrax

Using the ML installer with the firmware update process to toggle the bootflag should work too and with a card only, no?
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-