No HDR available on Canon 7D after installing ML?

Started by DamirS, March 04, 2013, 02:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DamirS

Hi guys, I'm new here please forgive me if this is a simple "I should know better" question... but.

I downloaded the ML Alpha for 7D, installed the Canon firmware update first as instructed followed by the ML Alpha 2.0.3.

I'm not getting the Audio Bars, but more importantly I can not find the HDR feature anywhere, like it is shown in all the videos.

Have done it a few times no luck, this must be something very simple that I am missing right?

Am I meant to install a different ML Firmware first?  I only installed the 2.0.3

Your advice is is appreciated.

Damir

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

DamirS

Yes of course i pressed thr trash button to bring up thd ML menu as per instructions, but there were no audio lines at the top in video mode and no HDR function in either video or photo mode

Walter Schulz

Which version do you have downloaded and installed? This one, maybe:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern.7D.203.Alpha2.zip
This is indeed a "clean" alpha-2 version where HDR functions are not included.

Maybe it is a Nightly Build you are looking for.

Ciao, Walter

DamirS

Thanks Walter

That is the version I installed, I was under the impression that HDR was one of the main big features of ML naturally thinking this feature would be available

Not sure what a Nightly Build is but will give it a try as we really need the HDR option

D

Walter Schulz

"We really need" and "alpha version" are contradictions. Alpha versions are not intended to be used in production environments. Most people running alpha tests are aware of the limitations implied by the term "alpha":
- Not safe for work/May crash at any time
- Feature set not settled
- May contain code slowing down the system
- etc. pp.
Alpha versions for commercial software normally will not be seen in public. Those are good for demos in closed circles ("Well, I can give you a glimpse of things to come ...") but will not be published.
Beta may be run by a selected group of people. Beta roughly translates to "There are known issues still to be solved".
You may see Release Candidates running in public, before the Final Release is announced and shipped.

If you (as in "2nd person, plural") really need the options available in the stable (Final) ML version then get a camera able to run the stable version!

Ciao, Walter

DamirS

Thank you for the clarification, buying a 5D or another camera for that meter is not an option for me at this time I have been using the ProMote successfully and just wanted to give ML a go seeing everyone loves it so much.

I haven't been able to find information about what version if any enables HDR in 7D nor a list of features that do work on 7D

I searched and thought it was implied that HDR was available on 7D, if you are saying it is not then at least I can stop trying to work out why it's not working :)

Back to the ProMote for me until the good team at ML enables HDR on 7D!

g3gg0

well, depends on what HDR you mean.
HDR Video is not that simple and neither in alphas nor in mainline (repository).
there are still technical difficulties.

HDR Photo is already in alpha2, as described in http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3974.0
its called advanced bracketing, as it includes more than just HDR shooting.

but as walter already explained, its a testing release for you to see what is coming.
(although ML alphas are more stable than any alpha ive ever seen)
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

DamirS

Thanks again

I was just hoping to test the HDR photo feature whether stable or unstable but having installed 2.0.3 the option wasn't showing up in the trash ML menu.

From what I understand this is the only alpha that works on 7D so I wasn't sure I should try older versions

Walter Schulz

As stated above:
HDR Video: not available yet
HDR Photo is "hidden" under "Adv. Bracketing".

Ciao, Walter

Jansten

I have use advanced bracketing a lot  ( HDR ) with  ML alpha 2 for  7D, its works great , with autocalculating how many pictures you need for the hole scene

Great tool!

DamirS

Ok so I installed Alpha 2 instead of 2.0.3 and Advanced Bracketing is now available !!!

However am unable to change the settings such as Frames, EV, Delay or ISO shifting.

All I can do is select Adv Bracketing and then shoot and it takes however many shots it wants which seems to be 4 or 5 frames.

I wish there was a tutorial somewhere, does anyone have any links, I'm obviously doing something wrong... or is this a Alpha 2 limitation?

Damir

Walter Schulz

Press "Q"-Button to access submenu. Same instruction is found in the bottom line of the screen.

Ciao, Walter

DamirS

Yes I saw the YouTube videos have been trying no luck.

Must be a bug then, nothing happens when I select Trash / Adv Bracketing / and then push the 'Q' button on 7D, no sub menu, nothing.

I wonder if updating to Canon Firmware 2.0.3 has anything to do with it....

Walter Schulz

I'm don't know what you are talking about. FW 2.0.3 is required to run this alpha.

You didn't load this alpha version into a camera running FW < 2.0.3, did you? Well, I suggest you wipe your CF-Card and follow the instructions this time.
If it won't work I would try to reset your camera to factory defaults. With all consequences, of course.

Ciao, Walter

DamirS

Walter,

I did what is instructed here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3974

In the instructions it clearly says to update camera FW to 2.0.3 - see below before proceeding with ML instalation

Installation
1) Update camera firmware to 2.0.3
2) Format your CF card from the camera
3) Extract contents of ML .zip into your card's root folder
4) Run "firmware upgrade" once again
5) VoilĂ . Magic Lantern. (press DELETE for menu)

Will reformat and try again tomorrow, hopefully this time it works  :)

Thanks for your patience and support Walter and everyone.

g3gg0

DamirS

SUCCESS!!!!

Reset to Factory settings, deleted ML, reformatted CF-Card, reinstalled.

Adv Bracketing with all features now available as is the submenu!

One thing that is not working is the Audio Meters, I get a grey line at top and bottom when in Video mode but no meters . thats fine but everything else is working!!!!

Thanks guys

g3gg0

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 23, 2012, 11:30:14 PM
Key Features:
* Audio meters while recording

from the linked forum thread, 1st post, marked wit bold text

DamirS

Ok so what I see in this video at 2:40min is not an Audio Meter at the top of the screen moving while he is just talking about the camera?
He doesn't appear to be recording, just in Video Mode.. or am I wrong?
I am saying on my 7D there are no Audio Meters at the top of the screen, only a gray faded line.
And 'Yes' I have Audio Meters turned on.

Walter Schulz

It is just as g3gg0 already pointed out (and he has to know, I bet) with my 7D and plain Alpha 2.

Ciao, Walter

g3gg0

the "guaranteed" function is - as said - the "audio meters while recording".
if there are situations where it works without recording, then this is luck.
i didnt explicitely enforce it to *not*to*work* without recording, its just a technical issue.

short: if it works without recording in some situations, be happy. if not, its as expected and described.

DamirS

Mate, all I was interested in was the Advanced Bracketing .... and it works like magic we tested it all day and it is simply brilliant.

I don't care about the audio meters really as I mentioned before, to me that was the only thing I saw in videos that I couldn't see on my 7D, other than that I will only ever use Bracketing and Timelapse so I am a HAPPY CHAPPY  8)

I consider myself very lucky, thank you thank you thank you ML is awesome!!!!!

Damir

g3gg0