[IMPOSSIBLE] HDMI stream with audio output

Started by mark.farnell, December 31, 2012, 12:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark.farnell

To stream continuous video longer than 30 minutes, it is possible to implement a video stream functionality (can be assigned to a camera button, or an item in the ML menu), that:

- sets all parameters for HDMI streaming, such as clear overlay and make sure camera does not sleep while streaming
- turn on the audio recorder and include audio in the HDMI stream while streaming
- allow change of aperture during streaming (by using one of the wheels?)

This function would save users from manually changing the ML configuration, and press the half-trigger button etc, and make the camera on par with professional video recorders.......

Would this function be feasible to implement?

1%

Monitor mode audio would have to be routed to HDMI which from the FW looks possible but nobody has tried yet. Would work on 600D, dunno about "AK" audio. It looks pretty broken on new cameras (audio is done more like 600D audio now just with different commands).

mark.farnell

Quote from: 1% on December 31, 2012, 09:10:53 PM
Monitor mode audio would have to be routed to HDMI which from the FW looks possible but nobody has tried yet. Would work on 600D, dunno about "AK" audio. It looks pretty broken on new cameras (audio is done more like 600D audio now just with different commands).

In this case, can we implement this function in stages?  First, we assign a button (or an ML menu item) for HDMI streaming.  This should be the easiest to achieve, as we don't need to access anything extra from the hardware.  Is it realistic to get this part done by 2.4?  Even if the subsequent stages turn out to be unfeasible, just getting the first part done would substantially improve the video capability of the camera, as the audio can be handled separately by the computer the camera attaches to.

Then the next stage would be to route the audio to the HDMI mode...... yeah I know the sound quality maybe suboptimal, but for many people, this will be good enough as they just use the audio to sync the video stream of this camera with other cameras during post-production.

Finally, would it be feasible to assign one of the dials to change aperture during HDMI streaming?  This would allow the shallow depth of field effects typical in professional video cameras.

1%

There should be an easy HDMI setup on/off. There hasn't been enough interest shooting this way until now because of the crippled output. I have scroll wheel disabled in menus so it changes aperture and shutter whenever already.

mark.farnell

Quote from: 1% on December 31, 2012, 10:17:42 PM
There should be an easy HDMI setup on/off. There hasn't been enough interest shooting this way until now because of the crippled output.

Okay..... if it is easy, then would it be possible to put the HDMI streaming into the TODO list of 2.4?

Quote from: 1% on December 31, 2012, 10:17:42 PM
I have scroll wheel disabled in menus so it changes aperture and shutter whenever already.

I don't quite get you...... In the video mode, during liveviewing (i.e. not recording), I can only use the scroll wheel to change exposure, but *not* aperture.  So are there any ways for us to gradually change aperture during liveview streaming?

scrax

Quote from: mark.farnell on January 01, 2013, 11:07:17 AM
I don't quite get you...... In the video mode, during liveviewing (i.e. not recording), I can only use the scroll wheel to change exposure, but *not* aperture.  So are there any ways for us to gradually change aperture during liveview streaming?

I'm not a video guy, but you can adjust aperture pressing AE and scroolwheel on 600D. But it will not be gradual, it will chande of 1/3stop. Maybe a lens for movie with manual aperture is needed for that?

This is what I have for enabling clean screen quickly:

PREFS->Misc key settings->Sticky DOF Preview : ON
PREFS->Misc key settings->Powersave in LV-> Enable p s : on Rec
DISPLAY->ClearOverlay->Halfshutter/DOF

I keep those setting always like this and so i can have clean screen pressing DOF in LV, this is good for me to check the DOF and image without any distracting overlay before the shoot.
So for me DOF button is the one you are requesting, or not?
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

mark.farnell

Quote from: scrax on January 01, 2013, 05:20:49 PM
I'm not a video guy, but you can adjust aperture pressing AE and scroolwheel on 600D. But it will not be gradual, it will chande of 1/3stop. Maybe a lens for movie with manual aperture is needed for that?

You're right, perhaps I need a lens that have gradual manual aperture.

Quote from: scrax on January 01, 2013, 05:20:49 PM
This is what I have for enabling clean screen quickly:

PREFS->Misc key settings->Sticky DOF Preview : ON
PREFS->Misc key settings->Powersave in LV-> Enable p s : on Rec
DISPLAY->ClearOverlay->Halfshutter/DOF

I keep those setting always like this and so i can have clean screen pressing DOF in LV, this is good for me to check the DOF and image without any distracting overlay before the shoot.
So for me DOF button is the one you are requesting, or not?

That's right..... though it would be cumbersome if we have to do it every time when we record, and revert the settings when we do still.

This is why we really need an "HDMI stream" button that apply the above settings only during the streaming session, and stream the audio into the HDMI stream.  Can this "HDMI stream" button be implemented for ML 2.4?

scrax

Quote from: mark.farnell on January 03, 2013, 10:57:41 PM
That's right..... though it would be cumbersome if we have to do it every time when we record, and revert the settings when we do still.

Note that I use Sticky DOF Preview instead of halfshutter, that will let me to keep those option always on, default for me.
Only difference from normal use in photo mode is the clear screen when halfshutter (using clear screen always on for that so i can better check framing before shooting) and the sticky DOF that will require two press for normal use intead of one long press (used so rarely that i consider it a crear-screen switch).

Adding a shortcut in future releases for that should be possible but I found this combination more fast than going into ML menu, so try it for now.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

psl

Also wanted to leave feedback to request this HDMI stream with audio feature as well.

I use my 5D2 mostly for photography, but will occasionally use it for video.

My use-case is not for cinematography, documentary, or interviews but is for a need to record continuously for longer than 30mins. As an alternative to investing in high end gear like the Atomos Ninja or Blackmagic Hyperdeck Shuttle, I have looked at HD capture devices targeted for the gaming market, specifically the Elgato Game Capture HD.

For what I am capturing, there's no real need for pro tools or advanced post-production. So, having a bare bones configuration to take the HDMI stream with audio, transcode through the Elgato, and output to MPEG-4 format is adequate.

I have already tried clean HDMI going through the Elgato and it's functional. Adding audio to the HDMI stream would make this setup perfect.

BRs,
psl