Old newbie can't install on T2i

Started by Tricster, March 03, 2013, 11:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tricster

Sorry if this is a dumb, redundant question but I searched thru 5 pages of existing questions and couldn't find this probably obvious one: I can't get ML to install on my T2i. What am I doing wrong?

I have removed accessories and cleared settings. I have unzipped the downloaded file to my freshly formatted card (a 32GB SanDisk Extreme). When I go to Firmware Update, the camera tells me that I have version 1.0.9 installed. At first, the update option did not work at all so I added the latest Canon firmware to the card per bullet #5 in the troubleshooting section of the installation guide. So now, when I initiate a firmware update, I get the choice of e8kr7109.fir or 550D-109.fir. If I select the former (presumably the one that is already on the camera), the update process works but if I chose the new one, I get "Update file error. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again." Then the camera freezes with that screen and won't shut off until I remove the battery.

I don't know if this is related but when I put the card back in my computer's card reader, the computer froze with a black screen.

I would love to get ML working in time for a shoot first thing Tuesday. I'd appreciate any help that may be out there. Thanks.

wolf

I run ML on a 550D or T2i too.
There is no need to change the firmware as long you have 1.0.9. The only thing you need to run ML is to set the bootflag on your SD-card.
I did it with a linux script which is included in the source code.
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/2a565b9d73597c89600022182515d53c410d3004/contrib/make-bootable?at=unified
You may google for
How to Create a Bootable Windows SD Card
Once you have set the bootflag extract the ML zip file to your SD-card.

The only advantage of changing the firmware is that you don't have to make your card bootable.
If you just copy the autoexec.bin file to your SD-card without setting the bootflag the camera will hang and you need to remove the battery.

Tricster