[PICTURE STYLE] Colour accent

Started by edgardave, February 26, 2013, 10:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edgardave

did a search and couldn't find it mentioned anywhere... also had a browse through the requests and couldn't see it

didn't know it was called colour accent until today so please excuse my dullards explanation below:

the canon powershot sx230 has a feature where you can point the camera at an object and it will then filter your shots so that they are black and white except objects that are the same colour as the one you 'set' at the beginning. Think New York cabs in yellow, everything else b&w etc

maybe an expandable bracket of colour using the dials to get more (or less) things close to that colour e.g. grass over a distance - different shades of green plus different varieties etc

i know this is possible in post for photos but don't know if it is for vids? also, you could spend ages doing it for it to turn out rubbish?! it could be good to compose in LV

Thanks
hope it was worth suggesting
Dave

kihlbahkt

The effect you want can be achieved with custom picture styles. Some folks have posted custom pic styles on this site. Search for Sin City, I recall using this last year.
600D x2

Francis

It's called selective coloring and there is at least one picture style out there that does it, I believe with red. Not something that would be easy to implement, and much easier to do in post (even in video). It is possible in pretty much any editor with a three-way color corrector. Search for some  tutorials on youtube.

edgardave

cool, thanks for the info.

i thought i would suggest it as there is some canon code out there already but i'm guessing:
a.) that would involve a world of copywrite pain!
b.) it's probably written completely differently on compact canons

cheers
dave