exposure level indicator

Started by ale, February 25, 2013, 01:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ale

Hi,

I've got a 5d MkII (ML 2.3 installed) and I can't find the way to display an exposure level indicator in the magic lantern live view screen layout.
Is it possible?
thanks a lot

Alessandro

ale

vertigopix

ale

thank you vertigopix,

I know that ML has a useful histogram option but I was wondering if it can also display the classic canon exposure level indicator, as I see in this picture:

vertigopix

Hi !

If you half-press the shutter you will see the exposure level.

But why ? The histogram is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better !

ale

Yes, it's true, histogram is better, but it use more battery, and sometimes to read the exposure level is more rapid.
In any case, at this moment I don't' have the camera with me and I can't verify, but it seems to me that nothing appears if I half-press the shutter; to see the exposure level I have to press info and to exit from ML. 
I will verify as I can, thank you

vertigopix

Not sure for the battery usage... I didn't notice it...

ale

No exposure level if I half-press the shutter!

Can someone confirm that in ML live view it is not possible to see the canon exposure level, otherwise how can I find it?
(ML 2.3 5d MKII)

thank you

1%

It should show up. Accuracy is debatable in movie mode.

ale

Nothing to do... do you have any suggestions?
Maybe it would be a good idea to uninstall and reinstall ML?

a1ex

ale

Why you must be so polemic?

Do you reduce all ML benefits to the histogram function?
I don't want to discuss about what is better between histogram and exposure level (this is not my topic!); each one has his personal preference and habit.
Personally I have always used canon light meter with satisfaction, I know how useful histogram is, but I use it as something additional; just a matter of habit! Probably, thanks to ML, I will discover that histogram is far better, but at this moment I just would like to understand if I can go on using exposure meter along with zebras, focus peak etc. etc.

a1ex

See FAQ: "Magic Lantern overlays are only displayed when the Canon overlays are disabled."

If you want both, just grab the source code and fix it.

1%

In movie mode when LV is opened the exposure meter measures where exactly, and how? At least with ML spot meter you know what you're measuring. Through the mirror its accurate and nice .... but in LV its kinda what you see what you get.

Maybe buy a camera with the top screen if still attached to it? I see it up there on 6D.