[WONTFIX] HTP: Raw off, Jpeg on

Started by Giusal, February 22, 2013, 04:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giusal

I'm using ML 2.3 on a 550D and I think it would be great introducing a function able to toggle automatically the HTP in order to have it on when shooting JPEG and off when shooting RAW
I mean, right like the flash on/off tweak ;)
Is it possible?

Marsu42

Quote from: Giusal on February 22, 2013, 04:27:12 PM
I'm using ML 2.3 on a 550D and I think it would be great introducing a function able to toggle automatically the HTP in order to have it on when shooting JPEG and off when shooting RAW
I mean, right like the flash on/off tweak ;)
Is it possible?

Not necessary - the raw with htp on and off is *exactly* the same, it just contains a flag so that the raw converter (adobe raw, canon dpp, ...) applies a custom tone curve to compensate for the -1ev underexposure (that's all htp does). Proof is that there are some raw converters that ignore the htp flag, in this case raw with htp = raw -1ev without htp. So if you want to reverse raw htp just apply your tone curve.

Giusal

The fact is that i've been doing a lot of tests (so I noticed that ;) ) and a Raw without HTP contains much less noise, a jpeg, on the other hand, doesn't (don't know why ??? )... this is why I started this topic

Marsu42

Quote from: Giusal on February 22, 2013, 05:44:37 PM
The fact is that i've been doing a lot of tests (so I noticed that ;) ) and a Raw without HTP contains much less noise, a jpeg, on the other hand, doesn't (don't know why ??? )... this is why I started this topic

The jpeg will have applied more in-camera noise reduction, but you can also do that to the raw in postprocessing. The unprocessed raw with htp of course is noisier because it's underexposed by -1ev to protect the highlights.

Walter Schulz

I think you have to reevaluate this.
I did a test in M with/without HTP and run the datt through dcraw, rawhistogramm.

Ciao, Walter