Canon 60D Not working in P,TV,AV,M,B,C Modes

Started by sharkie, February 21, 2013, 03:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkie

Hi
Have a canon 60D with Ml installed while some one was using it it stoped working , when they switched it back on No Display (Except for the Sensor clean message on start up) :(
When i Press menu nothng comes up , However i noticed that when i Put the camera in to The Auto Green Mode or any mode below this it works , I can Take a picture in anyof the creative modes and it writes to the card but wont display, also can change ISO or Drive modes in the creative mode,
The Canon Eos Utility See the camera if the mode is in one of the Auto Modes (green Auto, No Flash CA, ect ) but if i switch the mode to P,TV,AV,M,B,C the Eos utility will just say Busy,
because I can't access the creitive modes on the camera or even with the Eos utility I can't to a firmware reinstall ,,
I tried different memory card with and without ML on them , even without a mewmory card the issue is the same,

Any Idea out there,

a1ex

sharkie

There are no options in any of the available menus which allow me to do that is there a way to force a firmware install using the Autoexec ?

a1ex

It's possible, but I don't think we have to go that far.

Start with this autoexec in M mode, and you will get a log file; paste it here.

sharkie

have that done

but cant attach or paste in here

a1ex

Can't see any error in the log.

Can you run this autoexec? It will save a file named ROM.BIN, zip it and upload it on dropbox.

After this I'll try to restore default settings from ML.

sharkie

3 mins and the red light is still on the card  how long should it take to write out the rom file ?

a1ex

You should see the progress indicator on the screen.

sharkie

sharkie

a1ex

Okay, now try this one. It will try to restore all settings to factory defaults.

I suggest running it in Auto mode, so the display will be on. If you can film the camera while running this, it would help a lot.

There are some chances that this step will go wrong, but I've tried it on around 5 cameras, so I think it should be OK. We have ROM backups just in case.

Run this only once. After it does its job, shutdown and reboot without card. Then, go to menu, Wrench 2, line 3, and change the language from Japanese back to English.

If it fails, don't try again; describe what happened (as detailed as you can) and ask for advice first.

sharkie

Ok Done That,
The Restore completed and restarted without the memory card,
it Was set to Japanese and i set it to English but i still have the same issue the creative zone modes don't work menu  button does nothing when you move the control to P,TV,AV,M,B,C modes i can't change iso settings nor can i change drive mode or exposure modes, but it will take a picture and write to the card you can change the aperture and shutter speed,
my gut feeling is a re flash or the firmware would sort this but as the firmware can only be installed via the menus in the creative zone that's not possible,

a1ex

So... it takes pictures, but you can't navigate the menus and can't see the main display?

I don't think reinstalling the firmware will solve anything. If the executable code was corrupted, ML would not boot at all.

sharkie

yep it takes pictures but the menu button and some of the functions don't work when in creative modes, but the menu button works when you go into the basic modes like Full auto and night mode, i still think it could be a screwed up firmware, is there a way to use the autoexec to reflash the whole firmware?

sharkie

Is there anyway to autoreflash the firmware?

Francis

Wait for Alex's next advice. It's pretty late where he lives.

nanomad

Quote from: sharkie on February 21, 2013, 11:49:16 PM
Is there anyway to autoreflash the firmware?

Btw the answer is yes but I don't think the firmware is corrupted (or ML won't even boot as it checks the firmware checksum)
My feeling is that some kind of configuration area or the FW of another chip got corrupted and I'm not so sure we can fix them.

TL;DR send it to canon
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

mr.vijayaraghavan

I am no tech guy, but once when I was through with a programme (i.e. while my 60d was taking pictures in stack focus) I switched it off.  Then I had problems... I mean my 60d wouldn't start up at all... the red light was constantly ON.  I tried many non ML cards but no use.  Then I loaded my ML card to my computer... deleted all the photos (only photos) and put it back into my 60d.  It worked.  I have reported it elsewhere; ... don't remember.

drben

Raising a zombie thread. But this bit me this weekend.

No issues, no issues, no issues, then it didn't matter grip/no grip, which battery, which SD card, which lens. ML was posting fine when I tried that.

I had [green/P&C] modes working fine, but no M,AV,TV, etc.

Any "advanced" mode resulted in a "bulb" shot, one click opened shutter, one click closed shutter, but the image was always black on review.

[Clear all camera settings] didn't fix it.

[Clear all Cust. Func. (C.Fn.)] SOLVED THE ISSUE!

Hope this helps another 60D hanger-on.