DotTune AFMA (dot_tune.mo)

Started by Kent, February 20, 2013, 06:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrinkiiii

Doyle4

Possible to add this to the nightlys? would love this on my mkii, used the old version as was happy with results, but this one looks like itll finally find the perfect focus.

Cheers.

Audionut

It is in the nightlies.  It is now a module that has to be loaded the same as all other modules.

a1ex

It was simply copy/pasted from core into a module (no changes in functionality).

Doyle4

Ahh ok cheers, sorry i thought it had been tweaked slightly.

It did a fantastic job on my 100mm f2 and 24-70 2.8, -2 on the 24-70 considering it was sent to Canon to be tuned as it wouldnt keep focus and they said it was a user error, thanks to this its perfect.

Thanks again.

O-Ren

Hey everyone

I'm using ML 2.3 (July 23), and have just updated to the latest Nightly build for 5D MKII 2.1.2. But I seem to have a problem with the DotTune module.

After installing ML, I overwrote
- the autoexec.bin file
- the complete ML folder 
on the CF card with the bin.file & the ML folder from the Nightly.
I enabled DotTune under the Modules menu, but pressing the Q button (picture style button) does not open any submenu(s). And the Set button switches the module to OFF. 
How can I get the DotTune to work?

Thanks
Xaris

Marsu42

This is broken on 6D, I hope someone can fix it since I'd really like to afma my lenses. Here's the bug ticket (on the TL repo): https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/issue/16/dot_tune-afma-broken-on-6d

1%

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on October 02, 2013, 07:48:46 AM
How? You mean the screen turns off? You have to set that setting to disabled in the canon menu.

Ok, thanks, I've got it - two settings have to be different from what I had.

1. In "INFO button display options" -> "Display shooting functions" has to be enabled
2. Turn off LCD on halfshutter has to be disabled.

ShadowSAW

Hi, where can I find the dot_tune.mo for the Canon 60D DSLR?

Dot_tune runs on a Canon 60D?

I can not find this module in the nightlys updates for the Canon 60D

Marsu42

Quote from: ShadowSAW on October 12, 2013, 08:08:28 PM
Hi, where can I find the dot_tune.mo for the Canon 60D DSLR?

Canon removed af micro adjustment from 50d to 60d to protect their 7d (thanks, Canon!) and re-introduced on the 70d ... so dot_tune won't work with 60d.

selmas23

I just download ML to my 7D but cannot finde AFMA.
Is it possible to download somewhere?

StefanKeller.AC

I loaded the module dot_tune.mo from the normal nightlies from 5D3
http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

r12

when using the version of the nightly build for 5D3 there is only a micro adjustment option but the selection for tele/wide is missing.
Where can i find the right version?

longastrino

where i can find the module to download?
thank's and Marry Xmas!!!

Balinor

I would like to use the dottune ML module on a 550D... I realise 550D doesn't have AFMA adjustment, I just want the AFMA value at a series of focal lengths and distances to pump into my Sigma 18-35mm lens using the Sigma USB lens dock. Anyone know if it's possible to get dottune to run on 550D?

ilguercio

Quote from: Balinor on January 10, 2014, 12:51:54 PM
I would like to use the dottune ML module on a 550D... I realise 550D doesn't have AFMA adjustment, I just want the AFMA value at a series of focal lengths and distances to pump into my Sigma 18-35mm lens using the Sigma USB lens dock. Anyone know if it's possible to get dottune to run on 550D?
It does nothing on cameras that don't have AF adjustments.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

a1ex

Replace the get/set_afma calls to custom PTP wrappers that can talk to your Sigma dock (assumming it has a SDK) and it might work. If your dock doesn't have a SDK, maybe Sikuli can be useful to automate it.

Of course, you can use some other communication medium, such as LED blinks, beeps, or signals through the microphone port, but PTP seems the easiest way to me.

Difficulty: if you have the skills to get in top 1000 at Google Code Jam, you can probably implement this in a couple of days or weeks.

Marsu42

Could someone please give some assessment on how reliable dot_tune is? It seems to work for me, well, for the one lens that needs afma at all (my 100L), but rumor on CR is that it's not reliable and you're better of with manual adjustment with a metering stick...

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=19032.msg358813#msg358813

I'm usually waving the flag for Magic Lantern over there, but in this case I've got too little experience with the module to say anything other than guesswork...

ayshih

The ML module implements the method faithfully, so you're asking whether the method is dependable.  For my own part, I've been very satisfied with DotTune.  When I first upgraded to the 50D, I painstakingly made lots of test shots and manual adjustments to figure out good AFMA values for my lenses.  Then I found out about DotTune, and I was pleased (but frankly also a little irritated!) with how easy it was, and produced AFMA values very close (<~1 tick difference) to what I had already determined.

Now, there are definitely times when DotTune misfires and gives a bad result, but I chalk that up to user error, such as not setting the perfect focus initially or accidentally bumping the camera when switching to manual focus.  Running through the procedure a few times can help confirm whether your value is trustworthy.

I suspect that those that see consistently incorrect AFMA values from DotTune are making some mistake in the setup/procedure and not realizing it.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

Audionut

Quote from: ayshih on January 19, 2014, 11:35:21 PM
I suspect that those that see consistently incorrect AFMA values from DotTune are making some mistake in the setup/procedure and not realizing it.

Agreed.  When the setup is accurate, the results are accurate, and only subject to the errors inherent in lens/camera.

AFMA is subject to lens quality, lighting conditions, focus distance.

Quote from: ayshih on January 19, 2014, 11:35:21 PM
Running through the procedure a few times can help confirm whether your value is trustworthy.

Agreed.

Canon 5D3 manual states these points about AF and AFMA.

The AF's point of focus will vary depending on subject conditions, brightness, zoom position and other shooting conditions.  Therefore, even if you perform AFMA, focus may still not be achieved at the suitable position.

It is best to make the adjustment (AFMA) at the actual location where you will shoot.  This will make the adjustment more precise.

I've seen plenty of people unaware of focus issues with their shots, and those who mistake camera movement for focus issues.  Considering the accuracy needed in the testing procedure, and the variation of the AF accuracy subject to conditions, it's really no surprise some people may not get the results they were expecting.

poromaa

Have I missed something here or does this feature not work in 5Dm2?
For any of my lenses (restored camera settings, new ml 8th of feb) - the dot-tune module iterates for eternity. It does not seem to change anything between the beeps and results always ends up at 0 (no change).

What have I missed? (RTFM - is there a manual somewhere?)

Regards
Joakim

naturalsound

Quote from: poromaa on February 08, 2014, 05:12:13 PM
Have I missed something here or does this feature not work in 5Dm2?
For any of my lenses (restored camera settings, new ml 8th of feb) - the dot-tune module iterates for eternity. It does not seem to change anything between the beeps and results always ends up at 0 (no change).

What have I missed? (RTFM - is there a manual somewhere?)

Regards
Joakim

To identify possible mistakes you should describe your setup completly.

What Lens, what target distance, what target?
Focussed in Liveview? Lens set to M afterwards? Doublechecked focus in LiveView?
Does it beep everytime for every AFMA-setting?

l_d_allan

Quote from: Marsu42 on January 19, 2014, 11:00:38 PM
Could someone please give some assessment on how reliable dot_tune is? It seems to work for me, well, for the one lens that needs afma at all (my 100L), but rumor on CR is that it's not reliable and you're better of with manual adjustment with a metering stick...

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=19032.msg358813#msg358813

I'm usually waving the flag for Magic Lantern over there, but in this case I've got too little experience with the module to say anything other than guesswork...

I've got similar concerns. In a recent DPR thread:
Autofocus correct or not?
I also 'waved the flag' for ML's Auto-DotTune
and got a reply that was skeptical

Years ago, I used an older LensAlign gadget borrowed from a photography club, which I found to be a hassle. The DPR post above mentioned:
Reikan FoCal Pro
I believe that Datacolor makes a version also.

Has anyone with a manual device such as those mentioned above compared the results to Auto-Dot-Tune?