DotTune AFMA (dot_tune.mo)

Started by Kent, February 20, 2013, 06:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikfreak

@Ultrazauberer: looks buggy to me. Try 1.1.3 and let us know about your results. Another 6D owner reading this might chime in and try to reproduce...
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Ultrazauberer

Sorry for the waiting but I think I will test it next sunday. The problem is that I have next saturday a important photo shot and can't risk my camera. So I will wait after the shot. Stay tuned. ;)

vertigopix

Hello,

No problem here with 6D 1.1.6 AFMA is working with every lens I have (Canon, Sigma)
Maybe you can check with manual ISO... And do a correct exposure before you launch the process.

SpuTTer

I can try and test on my 1.1.6 6D. Will report back.

SpuTTer

It worked for me on the 6D 1.1.6 firmware. Although I had some inconsistent results, doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the build.

Ultrazauberer

Okay. How do you have your AF configured? I'm using backbutton focussing for the AF, so the AF function isn't on the shutter button. Maybe that's the problem?

vertigopix

Quote from: Ultrazauberer on August 05, 2015, 09:14:54 AM
Okay. How do you have your AF configured? I'm using backbutton focussing for the AF, so the AF function isn't on the shutter button. Maybe that's the problem?
You must disable AF and do it yourself manually through the viewfinder or with the liveview.

Ultrazauberer

Quote from: vertigopix on August 05, 2015, 10:35:57 AM
You must disable AF and do it yourself manually through the viewfinder or with the liveview.

Yeah, I know. I described it earlier. When you looking at the video you can see it, how I done the test.

Shake

I have a related problem here.
I have a 5DIII. On my setup every setting seems to result in a perfect focus...

But I have also configured the focus on another button...

Shake

Hey. Found it out: It seems necessary to enable AI SHOT. Servo does *not* work....

Hmm. Too soon: Does not work anymore. Did not change anything, just switched the lense... Now every check is positiv.... :-(

dfort

I was doing some code cleanup on the EOSM and can't figure out how to keep it from building the dot_tune module. It keeps failing to build the module and of course the EOSM doesn't have AFMA, or does it? Maybe it is just hidden from the the Canon menu? Comparing firmware dumps of the EOSM with the 7D it looks very similar so I made an afma.c that looks like this:

// using 7D AFMA constants as a test -- comparing the firmware looks promising
#define PROP_AFMA 0x80010006

// have no idea how to figure this out for the EOSM
static int8_t afma_buf[0x17];
#define AFMA_MODE       afma_buf[0x05]
#define AFMA_PER_LENS   afma_buf[0x11]
#define AFMA_ALL_LENSES afma_buf[0x13]

and with a few other tweaks got the module to build and show up on the menu:

Of course it isn't running:

ML ASSERT:
PROP_LEN(80010006) correct:0 called:17
at ../../src/property.c:342 (prop_request_change), task GuiMainTask
lv:1 mode:3

So it looks like the next step is to try and figure out the afma_buf values, uh any hints besides trial and error? Before I go too far and possibly destroy the camera I was wondering if I'd have better luck teaching pigs to fly than to get dot_tune working on the EOSM?

nikfreak

Better give up on this. EOS-M is liveview only. and the autofocus is done via contrast detection. So no need to play with this on EOS-M. AFMA is only suitable for dslrs when using the viewfinder in photo mode
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

dfort

Thanks nikfreak. Saved me a lot of time and possibly a fried camera.

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

akumiszcza

Hi. As for the 6D/1.1.6 problems.
I'm using the current nightly (magiclantern-Nightly.2016Jan14.6D116.zip) and I can say that DotTune AFMA sometimes works, sometimes not :)
For my first trial (with 50 f/1.4) I got the whole range. After different try (different focusing card among other things) I got no AF... After several trials I think I get best results with:
- manual ISO (100)
- M mode
- lowest f value of course
- exposure slightly to the right (for better contrast, +1 or so)
- IS turned off
- AF-ON key changed to default value
- new focusing card taken from original youtube video (http://www.testcams.com/DotTune/CrossHatch_Target.png)
- distance from the card = 50 x focal length (more less)

I don't know which of these are important, though. Even after doing everything, for some lenses/focal length I had to do it manually, as in original youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zE50jCUPhM). One tip: you don't have to enter Canon menu, setting it in DotTune AFMA module works the same (just remember to pick if it's prime/wide/tele). So it's fast anyway.

lozw

vertigo235

Found an issue using 1.2.3 and the DotTune module on 5D3.

I found it working fine on prime lenses, but on my zoom lenses DotTune would scan all the ranges and would never find a boundry (like described above).  I tried the prime/tele both, and the applicable wide / tele settings and got the same result.

I assumed that ML was having trouble adjusting the values, so I switched to "All by same amount" mode, and this worked fine.   So it appears when a zoom lens is attached ML can only adjust the AFMA on the "All by same amount" mode.

Anyhow, so the easy workaround is to do the DotTune with this mode then manually change the values for the Tele and Wide once the values are calculated.

trojannemo

I wonder if I'm doing this wrong or if DotTune isn't working or if by some miracle all my lenses are perfectly aligned.

So far I've tried:

Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS - both wide and tele ends
Canon 40mm f/2.8 pancake
Canon 50mm f/1.4
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

And they all beeped along the whole way and at the end said AFMA was 0. Maybe all my Canon lenses are perfectly aligned. Sure.

So I tried with my Sigma 150-600 C at both 150mm and 600mm. Again, beeped all the way and suggested AFMA was 0 for both ends.

This is on a 6D using the latest firmware and Magic Lantern as of the end of April.

Am I so lucky and all my lenses are perfectly aligned, or something is off here?
6D | 14 f/2.8 | 16-35 f/4L IS | 40 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 Macro | 70-200 f/4L IS | 150-600 C | 1.4x III
X-E2S | 18-55 f/2.8-4 OIS | 35 f/2

pulsar124

Anyone had issues with the new Canon's prime, 50mm f1.8 STM?  This is the first lens where dot-tune on ML doesn't seem to work - it shows perfect focus for the entire range of MFA. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that this lens uses "focus by wire" (focusing is not mechanical, it's electric; e.g. it doesn't work when the camera is powered down or the lens is disconnected from the body)? For other lenses dot-tune works just fine.

a1ex

Does it help if you first adjust the AFMA value from Canon menu?

Also, does adjusting the AFMA value manually from ML menu reflect in the Canon menu setting, and the other way?

Also, if you adjust the AFMA value from ML menu, does it actually make a difference on the focus point? (yes, try it, I can imagine ways where the value set by ML could appear in Canon menu without having any effect on focus calibration)

pulsar124

Sorry, it was my fault - I think I tried to run dot-tune in Av mode (which seems to work with other lenses, but probably not with the new 50mm  lens). I tried the test again, this time in Manual mode, and it worked as expected - giving me the MFA = -6, -6 -5 at distances 8, 3, and 1m. (BTW it looks like MFA changes a lot near MFD ~0.3m: it became +13 in my test).

a1ex

Interesting, I didn't expect the shooting mode to make any difference. Can you reproduce the issue? (that is, does it fail every time in Av mode, while working just fine in M? or is the misbehavior a bit random?)

Manofmayo

Am I missing something?   I Have the latest nightly build on my 6D, and I can't get Dot Tune to display on the menu.  I have tried different settings (M, A, S, B) and lenses (Sigma 20 Art, Canon 35 IS, Canon 50 1.4) with no luck.   I admit I haven't gone through every post, so if that is what I need to do, just tell me please.

Thank you!

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: a1ex on July 18, 2016, 09:40:48 PM
Interesting, I didn't expect the shooting mode to make any difference. Can you reproduce the issue? (that is, does it fail every time in Av mode, while working just fine in M? or is the misbehavior a bit random?)

@pulsar124 - were you able to reproduce this yet?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109