DotTune AFMA (dot_tune.mo)

Started by Kent, February 20, 2013, 06:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoHoeller

I seem to have a problem with using dottune on my 5D Mark III. I have been using Magic Lantern for a while on different cameras but just decided to try out this feature. I hope somebody can help me solve the issue.

I am using the newest nightly for 1.2.3 firmware (magiclantern-Nightly.2014Jul30.5D3123.zip). I have set up the camera on a tripod and focused on my target within liveview. When I start dottune from within ML the camera turns of liveview, toggles the info screen a couple times and then quits with the error message "press INFO and try again". I have tried the same procedure various times and also varied my distance from the target but keep getting the same result. I also tried to search for an explanation to the error message but came up empty.

Does anybody know how to fix this error or what I am doing wrong?

ayshih

Thanks for the detailed description of the problem!  It may not make a difference, but can you try switching out of LV yourself before starting the DotTune scan?

It sounds like this may be a 1.2.3-specific problem, and the relevant check that is failing is:

if (!display_is_on() || !display_idle())

That is, ML keeps toggling the info screen because it either thinks the display isn't actually turning on (display_is_on() is returning false) or that the display, while on, isn't idle (display_idle() is false).  If there isn't a bug with one of those functions, then another possibility is that the module is not waiting long enough before checking to see if the display is idle.  Here's a build of dot_tune.mo where I have increased the wait time and added some information to the error message you are seeing.  Can you give it a try?

Can any other 5D3 users chime in on whether DotTune works for them, on either 1.1.3 or 1.2.3?

Edit: resolved
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

a1ex

Some users have disabled the Canon info screen (the one with shutter, aperture, ISO and so on), so ML can't reach it by pressing INFO. Make sure it's not that.

JoHoeller

Thanks a lot for the quick reply @ both ayshih & a1ex

a1ex's suggestion actually solved the problem. I usually just use my hardware buttons and top LCD display and have therefore disabled the "functional settings" for the INFO button, leaving it to show "camera settings" and "levels" only. After changing this setting the module runs without any problems.

As I am sure some other people will also run into this issue, would it be possible for the script to enable the "functional settings" on INFO before it runs and change back to the original settings later? Another option might be to change the error message since it really does not give any hint to solving the issue.

Either way, thanks a lot to both of you!

JoHoeller

Unfortunately I met another problem running the script.

As you might know, the 5D mk3, as well as some other new Canon cameras (1DX, 6D, 70D), offer the option for 2 AFMA adjustments (wide & tele). When I change the AFMA setting in Magic Lantern it adjusts both of these values within the Canon menu. I wanted to run the script and later change 1 value back manually.

For my prime lens (100mm 2.8 L, only 1 value in Canon menu) everything worked like a charm and the script identified a perfect match. For my Zooms (tested 24-105 4.0 L and 16-35 2.8 L before I gave up) the script did not work. For these 2 lenses the script ended up getting confirmation for all values from -100 to +100, leading to a calculated value of 0. When I manually adjusted the values for either wide or tele in the Canon menu (depending on which focal length I was testing) I ended up with the correct information and different values.

I checked all my lenses manually by now but still wanted to report the issue to you for future updates. I hope you are able to fix it and integrate the new wide / tele AFMA into ML.

a1ex

theloafingone

Sorry if this has already been asked (I tried going through the entire thread/searching google), but how perfectly parallel/aligned do the camera/lens have to be to the target?
I'm asking this because I have a hard time telling if it is perfectly aligned to the target or not so I kind of eyeball it but am not sure just how much of an affect a degree or two off will have on the end result.

nikfreak

I for myself didn't notice much changes by some degrees. Also i recommend you to redo your tests at different lengths and/or locations.
For example when I did my tests at home I got almost the same results when doing them outside against a wall or whatever.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

theloafingone

Quote from: nikfreak on August 16, 2014, 12:50:58 PM
I for myself didn't notice much changes by some degrees. Also i recommend you to redo your tests at different lengths and/or locations.
For example when I did my tests at home I got almost the same results when doing them outside against a wall or whatever.

I was under the impression that the lighting conditions where you test can have an effect on the results. Don't they?

Stedda

Quote from: theloafingone on August 16, 2014, 11:41:08 PM
I was under the impression that the lighting conditions where you test can have an effect on the results. Don't they?

They do for me... inside/outside totally different numbers using FoCal which is usually very accurate.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

Audionut

Canon manuals state that focus can vary depending on brightness (among other conditions), and recommends that microadjustment be performed at the location of shooting.

Brupikk

Hello,

My T4i/650D has Back/Front-focus issue, does ML have AF microadjustment for this camera?

Thanks

nikfreak

No! This module only works for cams which have af fine tuning by factory (besides 60D).

Pedr

Please will someone confirm whether this can be used with zoom lenses? If I was to do this manually, I would adjust the value for the wide and tele ends of the lens, but this process only runs once at one focal length and sets both values.

On running this with my EF 70-200 this gives me:

When run at 70   : Both values are set to 0
When run at 200 : Both values are set to 6

How should I calibrate for both ends of this lens? Should I run it at each end, then input the values manually?

nikfreak

You found out both values (wide / tele). So why not enter them manually in canon original cfn menu?

Pedr

That's exactly what I suggested in the last sentence:

QuoteShould I run it at each end, then input the values manually?

I was just interested if there was anything built in. If there isn't, maybe it would make sense to add an option to run it as diagnostic-only - so it doesn't actually save the value - as overwriting both values is not correct in any circumstance so far as I am aware unless the adjustment happens to be the same.

ayshih

There is supposed to be the capacity to change just one end at the time (merged in August).  Questions:

• Which nightly build are you using?
  • Which camera?
  • Do you see distinct "AFMA mode" options of "This lens, wide end" and "This lens, tele end"?

Pedr

Build: Nightly.2014Aug07.5D3123
Camera: 5D Mk3

There is an AFMA mode option, but the only values are Disabled | All Lenses | This Lens

ayshih

Ah, the 5D3 1.2.3 nightly build isn't quite up to date.  This module was fixed on August 19.  Can you try swapping in the dot_tune.mo file from the 1.1.3 nightly build?

codyb

Are some lenses too generous with microfocus adjustments for this method to work?  I just successfully ran my 85 1.8 (on a 6D) through the run and it came out with +4.  But I tried the 35 2.0 (non-IS version) and the focus confirm pings successfully across the entire -100 to +100 range.  I was using a target of some 12pt font on standard 11x8.5 both 3 feet away and 6 feet away.

Ashram

I'm a little late to the party.
Trying out Dottune I set it to autodetect the range and set the AFMA mode to Tele end.
Everything runs as expected utilising the 100 range and returns a new AFMA value of -31.
Whilst ML seems to store this value in the dottune menu, there is no change in the Canon menu and the Canon menu has only +-20. (adjustment in ML menu is reset to 0 on reboot).
Testing autofocus with this ML config set there doesn't appear to be any difference to having it set to 0 (using a chart on 45degrees).
I presume it needs to be set in the canon menu for this to work, but ML dottune fails to write this value (is it supposed to?) and if I am to enter it manually how do I translate -31 into the Canon menu when it only goes +-20?
Do some cameras use larger ranges or do they calculate them differently?  For example if I am limited to +-20 do I need to divide -31 by 5 to give me an adjustment of -6 (rounded) for this camera?  (I think this is what the code is doing)

5D Mk III Firmware: 1.1.3
ML Nightly 02 Jul 2015
Canon EF 24-105 F4 L IS USM

Ultrazauberer

Yesterday I tried DotTune AFMA with my 6D, the latest nightly build (of course from yesterday) and the 50mm f1.8 STM lens.

I set the AFMA to prime lens in the ML-Menu. I focussed a black tripod in front of a white wall. The tripod was 2,5m far away from my camera. I focused the tripod via liveview and set the AF off. Then I started the dottune script, leaving everything at default except above mentioned setting.

The focus was recognized for every AFMA value (-100 ... +100). That should not happen or am I wrong? Because of this behavior I could not finish the script. I tried to rearrange my setup and it fails again. Can anyone say something to this combination of camera and lens?

PS: I tested it with daylight and no artificial light.

nikfreak

Anyone else able to confirm this on 6D 1.1.6?
Can you downgrade your firmware to 1.1.3 and verify your result with http://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/6D.116/296/artifact/platform/6D.113/magiclantern-Nightly.2015Jun09.6D113.zip ?

Ultrazauberer

I can do it but before I want to test something else.

I'm focusing with the back-button and disabled the AF on the shutter button. Maybe this is confusing the script?

Ultrazauberer

Today I tried the Canon 85mm f1.8 with DotTune. Again no luck. Look at the video and see the strange behavior.

https://youtu.be/-PLZ2sUixYk

At the weekend I try to downgrade the 6D to 1.1.3.

Am I'm doing some wrong?