[WONTFIX] In field AF microadjust feature

Started by mache1966, February 17, 2013, 11:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mache1966

Hi I was suggested to post on the forumn this thought I had posted on DPREVIEW. Basically something that occurred to me that might be useful is if it would be possible to have some kind of autofocus micro adjust feature that you could use in the field. For instance say I take my camera out with me from the house (comfortable 20-22 Deg C) and i'm out for a couple of hours and its only 3 or 4 deg outside. I don't think would be unreasonable for the focus to possibly more.

How do I see it working ?? So I've gone out, the camera has stablised to the outside temperature. I put it down on something solid (or set it on tripod if a took one). Set the focus point on a good contrast target and initiate MA tune setup.

Software takes the camera through a series of pictures with a MA adjustment from -20 through to +20 and numbers them with a suffix of each setting. You then review and which ever picture you consider to have the sharpest setting, say -5, you then put that figure into the camera in the normal manner and hey presto you've done a field adjust of the shooting conditions at that time.

I saw a thread in the not possible topics, but I think that was refering to real time AF adjustment at the moment of capture of each shot, which is different to what I think i'm suggesting.
I'm a mechanical engineer and know nothing about code writing so I don't know if this is somethng that could be possible or not
Regards
Martin.

a1ex

You may have better luck if you ask the FoCal guys to port their software to Android.

http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/

mache1966

Well I believe in the process of 'if you never ask you will never know'. Yes an android version of FoCal would be one way, but it was the thought of basically doing it in camera without carrying additional ancillaries that was what I thought might be atractive to users. However respect your decision.
Regards
Martin.