[WONTFIX] New OVERLAY (DOF)

Started by basovandrey, February 16, 2013, 08:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basovandrey

Hello.
Propose to make a new mode overley DOF.

Draw directly on the screen LiveView line and DOF Near DOF Far.
Formula and sketch here. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar2tmqEUFi2vdC1nOWNPekNOUG02dEJhVVhwcjNsdXc&usp=sharing
I spread scans of as I did the calculation.
Sorry I do not speak English.

Michael Zöller

If this can actually be done in a more or less reliable way... wow!
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

g3gg0

problem is the focal length that cannot be measured reliable.
some lenses report it, some not and the report is unreliable iirc.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

a1ex

Francis

Interesting, but way more going on than could be easily calculated in camera.

How would the camera know where to draw the lines. This would be dependent not just on the focal distance but where the plane of focus falls on the image. How would the camera know if you were completely parallel to a flat surface like a wall, in which the entire image is in focus?

Besides, focus peaking already does the job.

wolf

The lenses for Hasselblad cameras have a mechanical calculation for the DOF.
I think for filming it's interesting to know the area or the distances exactly were everything is in focus.
But to draw 3D orientated lines in LV is a high goal IMHO.  :-)

sonus

The electronic level in some cameras could provide a guide for some kind of 3d plane.
Seems like it would be near impossible to pull off, but would be useful for some.

discocalculi

Interesting idea, but there's already a similar feature and that's focus peaking.

Although it looks different on the live view, it works pretty much in the same way. If the aperture of the lens is closed down, the focus peaking also shows it.

basovandrey

Add.
You can calculate the projection angle to the ground plane in the camera screen. But the formula is not yet designed.
You can see here. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar2tmqEUFi2vdC1nOWNPekNOUG02dEJhVVhwcjNsdXc&usp=sharing
Examples.

Francis

Even using the electronic level, the distance, and FOV to calculate the plane, you are working under the big assumption that your XY plane has no pitch or irregularities, essentially that it is a flat, level floor. Focus peaking is less discriminating.

This could be useful for aerial photography/cartography for someone who isn't using a view camera and the Scheimpflug principle. But then you could just use the hyperfocal distance and correct perspective in post.

scrax

I don't get it in full, but to me if possible seems more clear than focus peaking.
Maybe is because of the example posted, but if the dof lines are draw on the floor one can figure out if a vertical thing is in focus even if it crosses focus lines, no?

But I think that g3gg0 is right, if we use the lens focal distance it will be unreliable, a graphical DOF preview in Overview option could be better, to simulate what wolf sad about Hasselblad lenses
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-