Movie Recording Time Limits

Started by JDługosz, February 14, 2013, 10:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDługosz

What is the nature of the move recording time limits?

I have a 60D, and when it "automatically stopped", I thought there must be something wrong.  It's too bad that the message isn't clearer, and I'm mystified as to why it can't just continue with another file automatically.

When I saw that it was a 4GB file, I recalled the same problem when testing the memory cards: FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit.  I had supposed that formatting the card as FATex would solve that.  But, reading the docs for ML, it mentions that there are two inherent limits: 4GB and 30 Minutes.

Why does it have a 4GB limit even on a more capable file system?  And why would there be a 30 minute limit?  It seems rather awkward, compared to my old MiniDV and any other camcorder I've heard of.  As excited as I was about not needing another camera for video and being able to use my good lenses, and Canon's own hype of the feature, it is a real letdown.

I see ML improves it to automatically restart when it stops, but not seamlessly.  Is there nothing more that can be done?  I'm a professional software developer, BTW.

—John

1%

for the 4gb limit, they don't want to hose fat32 cards. 600d can have that patched.

30 minute limit is harder. something stops it from timecode or movie recorder functions. i've been trying to "fix" it all day today with no luck.

JDługosz

So the firmware simply doesn't adapt to having a FATex card present, and just needs to be prodded into relaxing?  I have a 60D.  Is the patch model-specific or what?

1%

It was tried on 60D, dunno if it worked. Other cameras didn't have 64 bit addressing to handle the big files. On newer cameras it splits it into 4gb chunks.

JDługosz

How might I go about trying it?

I don't know what EOSMOvieFixer is.  google only shows me your file, nothing more.  It's an EXE file so I take it that it's something to run on the PC?

1%

you'd have to make a 60D version, there may have been some if you go through the original thread

JDługosz

I think I found the relevant thread:  "Limits be Gone".  Thanks.