ML Camera usage log

Started by scrax, February 14, 2013, 07:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrax

I was thinking about a feature that maybe could be useful for collecting feedback, usage patterns and so on during camera use. Those data data can be useful for debuggin problems, finding out what are  the most used features and so on.

I don't know is canon log is doing already this but is probably don't take into consideration ML.

Like a file with data about how long camera went on, how many pics taken, in wich mode, internal temp during operations, card space, and so on... All things that will be useful to make some graphics to see also hour way to use the camera, it will help a user to see which are features he use most, how long battery are lasting, debug problems and so on...
If possible we could add a manual battery management for rebel models, so that log will be useful also for keep track of battery status (my first idea about that is that we can make arrow selecting the battery at startup, like: put new battery called "left" and when switching on camera keep left arrow press will select it in ML battery manager, 4 battery can be managed that way).

Also lens used and focus mode etc will be all interesting thing to keep track. It can also be used in a professional environment to keep track of what your assistants/collaborators are doing with your gear during work ;)

The main question is will it be a battery/CPU killer feat.?
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

coutts

I've thought about this, I think in the coming years as cameras begin to ship with built in WiFi like the 6d, then we can collect user data. But right now there isn't a good way to collect it, short of users uploading it themselves.

Collecting user data would allow us to organize the menus in a fashion that's most easily accessible to users: ie: features that are used most will come first on the menu.

nanomad

Well, it may be worth a shot. If users are willing to collaborate, that is.

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Betelgeuza

all you guys need its Log from ML ? from all users..im on it .. where users can add log files ?

scrax

Quote from: coutts on March 05, 2013, 04:25:44 PM
I've thought about this, I think in the coming years as cameras begin to ship with built in WiFi like the 6d, then we can collect user data. But right now there isn't a good way to collect it, short of users uploading it themselves.

Collecting user data would allow us to organize the menus in a fashion that's most easily accessible to users: ie: features that are used most will come first on the menu.

For collecting user data I was thinking to add a controller in MLTools (and for other OS software) that will send the log automatically when importing pics.

Quote from: nanomad on March 05, 2013, 08:58:21 PM
Well, it may be worth a shot. If users are willing to collaborate, that is.
I think that users understand that it's for making ML better and more robust, so if we give them a way to automatically send logs they will do it with enthusiasm.
What about the universal installer you started, I think that an app to manage ML files from pc is still missing. I'm thinking about a multiplatform app that is the sum of EOSCard, MacBoot, HDSLROffloader, MLTools. Something that you can use to prepare cards, manage MLpreference files, scripts, make/compress cropmarks, convert422, convertsHDR photo or video etc.

BTW: I had no feedback about MLtools so I've stopped a bit writing it, since for me it works (to import and convert pics).
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

nanomad

Yeah we can use the MLInstaller thing but it's on halt as the 650D definitely has priority over it
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

coutts

Maybe Java would be a language to think about - for cross platform compatibility? (but i don't like java very much :) )

nanomad

Low level disk access may be a PITA though (not quite sure)