[ALREADY DONE, hold SET at startup] ML master switch

Started by stevefal, February 14, 2013, 02:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevefal

Forgive me if this is already there somehow.

Rather than to disable autoboot, I'd like to have a master switch, say, in preferences. When I use it, absolutely every ML feature is bypassed - it's 99.99% Canon until you press TRASH, at which point you get an ML dialog that lets you turn ML ON again.
Steve Falcon

Francis

ML either runs at start up or doesn't run at all. You can hold SET when you turn on the camera to boot without ML. To switch to ML, turn off then back on.

stevefal

Quote from: Francis on February 14, 2013, 02:48:19 AM
ML either runs at start up or doesn't run at all. You can hold SET when you turn on the camera to boot without ML. To switch to ML, turn off then back on.

I've tried that but it doesn't work for me. Maybe it's because I'm running the nightly build.

In either case, that will be close enough to what I was looking for. Thanks.
Steve Falcon

scrax

In the nightly should work too, or maybe 60D use a different key instead of SET.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

a1ex

If you have a custom function assigned to SET, it may not work.

stevefal

Quote from: a1ex on February 14, 2013, 09:46:51 AM

I don't believe I do. SET doesn't do anything, and I've cleared all camera settings. It's a 60D.
Steve Falcon

mr.vijayaraghavan

Quote from: stevefal on February 14, 2013, 09:53:42 AM
I don't believe I do. SET doesn't do anything, and I've cleared all camera settings. It's a 60D.
I totally agree with you.  Mine too is 60d and I haven't assigned any work to SET button.  I have already reported it elsewhere saying that holding SET while start-up doesn't stop/disable ML from loading.  It has no effect whatsoever.  Anyway, by turning Globaldraw OFF, ML functions are disabled.  So far, I haven't found ML interfering whenever I used Canon Menu for shooting. 

But it will be nice if it is devised to ON/OFF Magic Lantern by pressing a button.

stevefal

Quote from: mr.vijayaraghavan on February 14, 2013, 06:07:53 PM
... Anyway, by turning Globaldraw OFF, ML functions are disabled.  So far, I haven't found ML interfering whenever I used Canon Menu for shooting.

As I understand it, I could significantly mess up many shooting parameters with ML even if GD is turned OFF. If that's wrong then I am very confused.
Steve Falcon

Francis

No, it is true that ML is running even if the overlays are turned off. Maybe one of the devs can look into the Set on startup problem.

What I do is keep 2 cards handy. 1 with ML and 1 without, although I seldom use the card without.

mr.vijayaraghavan

Quote from: Francis on February 14, 2013, 09:27:27 PM
No, it is true that ML is running even if the overlays are turned off. Maybe one of the devs can look into the Set on startup problem.

What I do is keep 2 cards handy. 1 with ML and 1 without, although I seldom use the card without.
If ML is running even after turning off Globaldraw (overlays), then it must be applying the settings permanently (till it is re-set by enabling Globaldraw).  In that case, how does a spare card (without ML) saves you from that? 

In my case, I have been using 60d with GD turned off, whenever I desire to use Canon Menu; and it has been fine... no problems; I am using the same card (with ML loaded in it).

Francis

Think of ML of a program that runs on startup like on your computer. You might not see any activity or change in operation until you enable the features, but the program is still running. I'm not really concerned with ML changing settings. It's been changing settings on both my cameras without problems for over a year.

The reason I keep a card around without ML is when I have long sessions where I am shooting tethered. With CF cards, the boot time is increased and the likelihood of the camera not reinitializing the PTP after going to sleep is higher, I've found, with Magic Lantern. Usually not a problem for short sessions where I can disable the sleep mode, but if it is a long session like arranging and shooting stock photos, I just use without to prevent that possible issue. Mostly I would be using the image review features of ML in that situation but they are unnecessary when I can view on a larger screen.

stevefal

My reason for wanting to turn ML off is that I'm not familiar with all its features, but that doesn't stop me from experimenting with them. Turning it off would let me make sure I'm not shooting under some strange settings I don't understand. The SET + boot method is fine, just need to figure out why it isn't working.
Steve Falcon

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on February 14, 2013, 09:46:51 AM

Doh - thanks for the information, that's my problem, too. Maybe it would be a good idea to move the "disable ml button" to something else that works all the time on all cameras?

a1ex

Ideas?

Half-shutter was rejected because ML didn't load if you started taking pics right away, or when you were waking up the camera from standby.

MENU, PLAY, DELETE, LV - it's also likely that you press one of those while ML is loading => will disable ML without you wanting it.

What about INFO/DISP?

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on February 17, 2013, 10:30:46 AM
What about INFO/DISP?

Yup, that was also my first idea and I can see now problems with this solution.

scrax

Can we detect DISP/LCDsensor aka "the one to switch off display button" ?
Since it will keep the one hand operation better than INFO
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

mr.vijayaraghavan

Quote from: a1ex on February 17, 2013, 10:30:46 AM
Ideas?

Half-shutter was rejected because ML didn't load if you started taking pics right away, or when you were waking up the camera from standby.

MENU, PLAY, DELETE, LV - it's also likely that you press one of those while ML is loading => will disable ML without you wanting it.

What about INFO/DISP?

Probably, I haven't understood it correctly... When <DEPRESS `DELETE' AT START-UP> is not switching off ML on 60d, then how could <DEPRESS `any other button' AT START-UP> could switch off ML?  My suggestion is; if UNLOCK button could be used in any way to switch ML `OFF' and `ON', it may be ideal. 

Marsu42

Quote from: scrax on February 18, 2013, 01:13:05 AM
Since it will keep the one hand operation better than INFO

I don't think not starting ml is a features that necessarily needs to have right-hand only control - and on my 60d info is on the right side btw :->

Quote from: mr.vijayaraghavan on February 18, 2013, 08:43:51 AM
My suggestion is; if UNLOCK button could be used in any way to switch ML `OFF' and `ON', it may be ideal.

That would make the most sense and generally +1 for the idea, but only on 60d - other camera bodies don't have the button or a real switch (like 6d) - and for switching off ml (i.e. not starting it in the first place) an overall method might be useful so it can be clearly communicated to people being doubtful at first using ml.

scrax

Quote from: Marsu42 on February 18, 2013, 09:16:52 AM
That would make the most sense and generally +1 for the idea, but only on 60d - other camera bodies don't have the button or a real switch (like 6d) - and for switching off ml (i.e. not starting it in the first place) an overall method might be useful so it can be clearly communicated to people being doubtful at first using ml.

How to not load ML at start-up:
Keep a finger on the LCD sensor or DISP button, isn't easy enough?

But maybe thinking more about it, when camera is in stand-by the LCDsensor could be triggered during wake-up for error, or not?

I use Magic Off so rarely that which button isn't really a problem.
But why not adding an option to start with magic off in ML options to reverse that.
So to load ML only if you have DISP/INFO pressed when starting up.

For example I lend my camera to someone like my father that will have/make troubles if ML is active, so for now I give the camera with a fresh card, but with that option I can set ML to not load always and when I take the camera reboot it in ML quickly.

Marsu42

Quote from: scrax on February 18, 2013, 01:19:24 PM
But why not adding an option to start with magic off in ML options to reverse that.
So to load ML only if you have DISP/INFO pressed when starting up.

I like that idea, because I often hear from potential new ml users (in the CR forum) that they are uneasy with "being stuck" with it or ml breaking something. So next to the usual "you can uninstall or disable if you want it" a reverse "it only runs if you really want it" might be a good argument. But of course the enabling ml method should be really foolproof and 100% working, after all you'd need to run ml to change the startup behavior to "normal".

mr.vijayaraghavan

I too like Scrax's idea.  I SECOND IT!

Smartie

I like the idea of having ML off by default sometimes.  Instead of reversing the operation of the set button, how about making it toggle.  For example, you push set on startup and ML turns off forever, until you press set again on startup and then ML turns on forever....until you repeat.  This way, I know that when I turn my camera on to grab a quick video or something I don't have to remember to push set al the time.  I would probably use ML only sometimes and most often shoot with the default camera f/w.

mr.vijayaraghavan

Quote from: stevefal on February 15, 2013, 03:18:55 PM
My reason for wanting to turn ML off is that I'm not familiar with all its features, but that doesn't stop me from experimenting with them. Turning it off would let me make sure I'm not shooting under some strange settings I don't understand. The SET + boot method is fine, just need to figure out why it isn't working.

Hi there!  Just figured out the solution through one Mr.Walter Schulz on Q&As;  and why it was not working on your 60d and my 60d. 

ML says to switch ON the camera by pressing SET button to disable ML.  No, it wouldn't.  Mr.Walter says;
the camera should be first in ON position and then "Switch Off the camera by pressing SET button and after a second or two switch On the camera by continue holding the SET button and then release SET button"

Bingo!... it works wonderful. Try it.

Walter Schulz

This is not what I wrote but it's fine you found a solution! No kudos for me! ;-)

Ciao, Walter