EOScard / newbie install question

Started by emachine99, February 13, 2013, 08:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emachine99

If I have gotten it right from the wiki, to set up my Canon 5d MK ii I can copy the EOScard utility to my CF card from my computer, copy the ML files to my card from my computer, and all I have to do is pop the card in the camera and I'm ready to go?  No need to go through the firmware update part of the install?

Pelican

No, you don't have to copy EOScard to your CF card but you have to run it.
And you have to follow the install procedure, you can skip only the "copy files to the card" and "prepare card" parts...

EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

emachine99

"If you use SDXC cards, or if you prefer to skip the firmware update step and prepare all your cards from the PC, you may copy ML files on your card and make it bootable with a special utility: EOScard for Windows, MacBoot for Mac, or make_bootable.sh for Mac/Linux in command line."

What I'm confused about is the above line in the install wiki, which seems to indicate that if I prepare my card on my PC using EOScard I can "skip the firmware update step" since there is the warning further up the same page that "Firmware updates in general can damage your camera.".  I was at the Canon site and there are quite a few folks who are having serious problems with their 5d MK II's using the standard install method....

scrax

Quote from: emachine99 on February 14, 2013, 05:45:05 PM
"If you use SDXC cards, or if you prefer to skip the firmware update step and prepare all your cards from the PC, you may copy ML files on your card and make it bootable with a special utility: EOScard for Windows, MacBoot for Mac, or make_bootable.sh for Mac/Linux in command line."

What I'm confused about is the above line in the install wiki, which seems to indicate that if I prepare my card on my PC using EOScard I can "skip the firmware update step" since there is the warning further up the same page that "Firmware updates in general can damage your camera.".  I was at the Canon site and there are quite a few folks who are having serious problems with their 5d MK II's using the standard install method....

You can skip the firmware update process for preparing card only, to be able to load ML you have to have the camera set to load it and the fir install do this AND prepare the card, so at least once you have to do the fir update process.

Keep in mind that what is dangerous in a firmware update is that normally it's sed to delete the old firmware from camera and write the new on instead, if the camera go off during the write you will have a camera without firmware that can't boot anymore (but ML could help maybe).
ML fir install instead will not touch the original firmware, so you will not risk to lose it, basically is a lot safer than a normal canon firmware updates.

also read this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2522.0
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

swinxx

thank you, i have tried it and got an error with macboot.class -> permission denied..

so what should i do now?
thx.

Francis