Having problems with exposure, need help please.

Started by Stillcrazy, February 07, 2013, 05:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stillcrazy

Hello,

I'm totally new at ML, and I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.  I've shot a few vids with different settings to gain some experience with the software, but I seem to be getting overexposed videos.  I use a T3i, with a Sigma 10-20 VC USM lens.  I'm shooting outdoor landscape at  .5, up to 5 fps, with Exposure Override ON.  ISO = 50 (ML), Aperture = f30, and Shutter is 1/2.8, sometimes it will go to 1/5.8.  I have changed the WB and that helps a little.

I've tried shooting in Auto Exposure, and all I get is white on Live View, and white video, no detail at all.  As I increase the fps, I do get better exposure but still very overexposed.  I can't seem to adjust the shutter speed after setting the Exposure Override to ON, it doesn't change.

If anyone has the patience to teach me how to adjust these settings, I would be very appreciative.  I'm excited to play around with the possibilities this software has to offer.  Thanks for any help.

nanomad

The lower the FPS, the lower the shutter speed your camera uses...
Since you're in broad daylight you'll probably need a ND filter
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Stillcrazy

That sounds logical, I'll try it with an ND filter.  I assumed the shutter speed was adjustable, I assumed wrongly.  Thanks for the reply.

a1ex

On 600D, make sure you are not optimizing for low light (choose something else).

Stillcrazy

Thanks everyone for your ideas.  I tried it again over the weekend, and I did get better results, though still slightly overexposed.  I used a CPL to cut down some light, I don't yet have an ND filter, set the Canon menu to manual video exposure and then setup the ML variables.  I was able to adjust the aperture, and by increasing to 2.5 fps, I got acceptable video.

I'll keep working at it, until I get it right.  Thanks.