T1i - Missing some functions and other stuff

Started by mandygirl77, February 09, 2013, 04:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandygirl77

Hi all, again I'm very new to this so I appreciate any help! 

I'm going through the manual and when I get to the "movie" section, there are some functions missing: movie restart, shutter lock, fps override, hdr video.  Is that because it's on the t1i or is there something wrong?

On the Expo menu, some times shutter and aperture are marked in red and it says I can't change them and sometimes they aren't marked red and will let me change one and not the other or neither of them change.

What if I'm unsure how to set the white balance and want to do it the old manual way with a white sheet of paper?  :D

When I try to auto focus on the t1i with my kit lens, it will either automatically stop or start recording.  Is there a way to stop this?

Thanks so much in advance!!!

mandygirl77

Can anyone help with any of these things?  I would really appreciate it!

1%

not sure, nobody I know has one. afaik its a crippled 550D.

QuoteOn the Expo menu, some times shutter and aperture are marked in red and it says I can't change them and sometimes they aren't marked red and will let me change one and not the other or neither of them change.

make sure auto exposure for movie is disabled. missing features like FPS, etc probably don't work on your camera.

Quotewant to do it the old manual way with a white sheet of paper?

You can access auto wb from the canon menus still if you don't want to set one through ML... dunno what is even supported

mandygirl77

Thanks for your reply!

Where is auto exposure for movie?  I don't see where I can disable that.

1%

Canon menus?

Read the manual for t1i from canon & ML user guide. I know there is no external mic port unless you add it.. but thats it.

mandygirl77

Got it, thanks.  I thought you meant from ML

WhiteAndBlack

Running the newest ml from Sept 22 2019 for the newest canon fw 1.1.2 on a 500D/T1i and I am not seeing an option for video restart.  This was missing on prior version.  It used to work on this camera when I got it quite a while ago but I can't remember which version of the fw it worked with.  I have tried going back to prior versions but have not found one that works yet.  Since I am using this exclusively for capturing music performances and would like to use this camera for second angle this feature is a must.  My 650D works fine in this way.

Anybody have a solution?

Walter Schulz

Feature matrix -> Movie -> MOVIE_RESTART
Indeed this feature is missing for 500D and it is the only cam without it.
@devs: Works as designed, I suppose but why?

garry23

What a coincidence.

A friend on mine has a 500D and loaded my depth of field script, DOFI, this weekend.

The problem is that it throws up a script generated error that stems from either focus position, aperature or focal length not being reported, i.e. one of these is zero.

He doesn't live near me, so I can't check at the moment.

He is using the build from the nightly.

I tried the 5D3 from the nightly, and DOFI runs fine on that.

As I say, it looks like that one of the follow lens functions is broken in 500D Lua, as the test I use to allow DOFI to run tests to see if x, a or f are not zero

f = lens.focal_length
x = lens.focus_distance
a = camera.aperture.value

Walter Schulz

@garry23: You are sure your friend's lenses do support focus distance at all? Older kit lenses don't.

garry23

@Walter Schulz

Yes, that was my first thought, as he said he had been using an 11-55 EF kit lens, so I asked him to try another lens, and he tried his 24-70mmf/2.8 L

If it is the mark 1, do you know if this also doesn't report focus distance?

Cheers

Garry

Update https://magiclantern.fandom.com/wiki/Focus_distance

Looks like that is the problem. Neither lens reports focus distance

Walter Schulz

24-70 L should do fine. Let your friend check one of his pics withJeffrey Friedl's Exif Viewer.

garry23

I got him to run the api test.

It crashes.

Here is what he sent me:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rcs4ukax7xnm0nd/AAAKGvLqleayM6WS7LRqpuqAa?dl=0

Maybe @a1ex can spot the issue?

BTW I've asked him to send me the L lens log

Walter Schulz

He should really do this test with his 24-70 after verifying its focus distance feature.

garry23

We crossed   ;)

I had asked him to send me the L lens log.

;) ;)

garry23

Have uploaded a couple of more log files from the 500D api test, that crashes: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rcs4ukax7xnm0nd/AAAKGvLqleayM6WS7LRqpuqAa?dl=0

My friend confirms the 18-55mm is reporting distance, ie in ML.

As I say, my script looks to see if aperture, focus or focal length are zero.

Looking at the log, these are all non zero.

So I'm baffled as to why my DOFI script says, can't use lens. Which comes from this test:

f = lens.focal_length
x = lens.focus_distance
a = camera.aperture.value

if (x==0 or a==0 or f==0) then
    my_display("Can't use DOFI",2,0,0)
    return
end

Walter Schulz

Time to check if it is fixed in lua_fix build....

garry23

Walter Schulz

Dang! Haven't checked its existence ...
Dmilligan? a1ex? What is so special about 500D?

garry23

@Walter Schultz and @a1ex maybe

Just got my hands on my friends 500D that doesn't run my DOFI script.

DOFI checks that the camera/lens reports focus distance, focal length and aperture.

Aperture is checked with:

camera.aperture.value

On the 500D this is reported as 0.

I tried:

camera.aperture.apex

Still zero.

What I can't recall is, on older implementations of Lua, ie in the main build, how aperture is read, ie is it with something other than camera.aperture?

Anyway, that seems to be the issues with my script, designed to run in Lua fix, not being able to be run in the 500D, which is not in the Lua fix area: but I don't know why.

If @a1ex could throw some light on this it would be great. For instance, could I change out the Lua module in the 500D nightly with the Lua module in the Lua fix?

Cheers

Garry

critix

Canon 1300D, 500D, EOS M, EOS M2

garry23

@critix

That fixed it  :) :) :)

Many thanks.

Had to upgrade Canon side Firmware to 112 first.

I assume that build is not openly published at the moment?

Once again: many thanks.

My friend will be very happy with having mu DOFI script run on his 500D.

Cheers

Garry

garry23

@critix

I spoke too soon.

Noticed Dual-ISO and ETTR modules will not load.

Old API error.

Cheers

Garry

critix

Canon 1300D, 500D, EOS M, EOS M2

garry23