Extreme pro 90Mbs? Meh, more like extreme dissapointment

Started by sparedog, February 08, 2013, 01:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparedog

I bought a Sandisk 8Mb Extreme Pro 90Mbs to replace my  Sandisk 8Mb Extreme 30Mbs. I wasn´t getting noticable differences in being able to record higher bitrates so I did some bench marks.

Here are the results
EXTREME 30Mbs

EXTREME PRO 90Mbs

and ML benchmark tests

EXTREME PRO 90MB/s card

EXTREME 30MB/s card

I would love to see other people´s benchamrks for these 90Mbs cards as this one was definately not worth the money!

Walter Schulz

Êither your cardreader doesn't like your SanDisk card or (more likely) you have purchased a faked card -> product piracy or you have an USB 2.0 device.  USB 2.0 will be the bottleneck limiting transfer speed to about 40 MByte/s.
I have a Hama USB 3.0 cardreader not able to run at full speed with my SanDisk Extreme Pro. Kingston USB 3.0 is up to the task and > 85 MByte/s is not bad at all.
You haven't mentioned camera type, card type and cardreader type used. Please more details next time ...

Ciao, Walter

1%

the comparable pro cards advertise 50mb sustained and 90 read. sandisk acts like its got 90 sustained r/w. I think its lies.

the difference between the non liars' tiers is 50 vs 35. real world drop like 5 or 6 mb. Before uhs, most cards struggled to do 25/MB sequential write.

i don't see anyone achieving these speeds in anything but usb 3 readers and only for read.

sparedog

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 08, 2013, 02:06:48 PM
You haven't mentioned camera type, card type and cardreader type used. Please more details next time ...

Ciao, Walter

Appologies for the half post

The camera is a 6D, the card type is as above, the card reader is built in to Asus G73, unfortunately I cannot find anything on the net about which speed the card reader is.

I bought the card from a very well known camera shop in Barcelona, Jordi Bas, so I would have assumed that it was real, however, how do shop owners know whether they are buying real stock? (that is a question, not a rhetorical statement)

True the card reader may be to blame, but the 6D should be pretty fast at writing, right? =D

Marvin

Film is truth 24 frames per second.

Pelican

The card is one thing and your camera is another thing...

Lexar Professional 1000x in 5D mkIII

Lexar Professional 1000x in 7D

I'm using a 32 GB Transcend 400x UDMA7 card in my 7D and it has a specification of 60MB/s write and 90 MB/sec read speed, but I can read the data from it with a Transcend USB 3.0 card reader above 110 MB/sec.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

1%

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

But those are cf 4.0 vs cf 5.0 speeds 7d is a standard behind.

these cards aren't UHS-II, they promise 90mb read/write but I think its burst, competitors bench where his camera is at.

I think I found the other problem:

*'Set Hi-Speed Mode( 96MHz )'

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

Look in the Fw... 100MHZ is uhs 50... 208 is UHS 104 :(

coutts

note: fixing shoot_malloc() in the 6d (it worked in previous commits but lately I notice it doesn't) should fix the "read test skipped" message.

1%

Ok, I'll look at it, I thought shoot malloc worked....

ML repo for 6D is hella out of date.

the test doesn't fail from shoot_malloc it fails because of

//void* buf = alloc_dma_memory(bufsize);

This works:
      void* buf = shoot_malloc(bufsize);

it skips because

if (bufsize > 1024*1024) bmp_printf(FONT_MED, x, y += font_med.height, "read test skipped: buffer=%d\n", bufsize);

if you force it on dma memory allocation you get an assert