Canon 5D2 running on 5 volts

Started by Jordy Vandeput, February 07, 2013, 09:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordy Vandeput

Hey everyone,

I recently got a V-plate to power my LCD monitor and 5D2 camera. The output of the V-plate is 2x5 volts and 1x7 volts.
The 7v is reserved for the camera. But unfortunately my LCD monitor cannot run on 5v. So I have to attach it on 7v.

The camera however is able to run on 5v. Everything works perfectly, only my shutter sounds a little different (a more higher tone).

My question is, if this is healthy for my camera? Should I continue like this, or look for another solution and power my camera with 7v as it should be?

Thanks in advance!
DSLR evangelist and Tuts+ instructor

Walter Schulz

Can't you just plug in a Y-adapter and connect both your devices to 7 Volt?  Don't know if you plate is able to run both devices at once (maximum output power exceeded or not?).

Ciao, Walter

Jordy Vandeput

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 07, 2013, 09:46:55 AM
Can't you just plug in a Y-adapter and connect both your devices to 7 Volt?

Thanks for your reply.

Doesn't that lower the output of the 7v?

g3gg0

Depends in the internal resistance of the supply and the current the both devices need.
How much amperes can the supply deliver?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Jordy Vandeput

Quote from: g3gg0 on February 07, 2013, 10:39:39 AM
Depends in the internal resistance of the supply and the current the both devices need.
How much amperes can the supply deliver?

These are the specs of the battery: 150WH / 14.8v / 10.2AH

But if it doesn't hurt to use 5v, the better.

Walter Schulz

Thanks for the info but this is not the info we're looking for. Is a current limit (in Ampere/Milliampere/A/mA) given for the 7.2 volts output?

Ciao, Walter

Jordy Vandeput

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 07, 2013, 07:28:10 PM
Thanks for the info but this is not the info we're looking for. Is a current limit (in Ampere/Milliampere/A/mA) given for the 7.2 volts output?

Ciao, Walter

Hmm okay. Then I'll give you the specs when I get the battery. It's still shipping. I tired this test on a V-battery from a friend.

Thanks for your info so far!