Use raw photos in video

Started by ReinisK, December 21, 2012, 12:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReinisK

Hello!

What do you think of using two DSLRs that are next to each other one recording a video and the other taking pictures in raw?
Could some resolution or dynamic range be gained if those pictures were somehow put in the video (similar to how GOP frame codecs work)?
I guess that in a static landscape shot a raw picture taken from the same camera could be used to gain resolution and dynamic range.
Also, I remember a video on youtube, where some guy explained how to get a better low light static shot in the same way I am thinking about this (take a picture with longer exposure, then use it in video).

So, has anyone tried something like this?
And what would be the workflow to use these pictures in video?

Sorry, if this question has been on here already.
Not really about magic lantern though, maybe someone could move this thread to General Chat?

clint

Adobe released a tech demo video of a similar idea they were working on several years ago.  As far as I know, it never made it into a consumer level Adobe product.  What happened to it? I'm not sure, but I imagine it wouldn't be to hard to find out the reason for the delay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PktKqyRXIE

g3gg0

what the hell... what epic kind of software.
to be honest, this looks too good to be real.
release date april 1st? ;)
even making panoramas with hugin sometimes is a pain although the math is simple.

will check it when i am on pc.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

ReinisK

I once saw this video and this was from where I got the ideas, but I couldn't find the video anymore. But here it is.
When I watch it now, it looks too unreal (for example the cut out parking sign, some other things too).

What do you think about it?

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

clint

what they're doing isn't that ridiculous, though extremely helpful.  A lot of the ideas and technology behind the tool have been around, but just not brought together for a single tool like this.
That said, I did notice a few items that did look like artifacts, though its hard to tell if they are from the online compression or from the tool itself.  I'll have to have a look at the documentation to get a stronger grasp on it as a whole.

SDX

This is not a tool and you won't find any download anywhere.
You can get the source from their website, but as they explicitly say, you won't be able to compile this into anything usable. It's "A reference for implementing the algorithms described in the paper". So.. someone, grab their paper and example code and start the development of a functioning applicaton!
This, however, does not apply to the devs of ML - we need you here, on the ML project. ^^

menoc

Well, in my view, Adobe never continued on this for the simple reason that RAW video is coming to DSLRs within about 12-18 months. Just an educated guess, but this could have been useful for the older cameras . . .

scrax

Quote from: menoc on February 07, 2013, 03:27:13 AM
Well, in my view, Adobe never continued on this for the simple reason that RAW video is coming to DSLRs within about 12-18 months. Just an educated guess, but this could have been useful for the older cameras . . .
that will mean that with a raw video you can eliminate thing from the scene like in the video they shown?
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-