ML Auto ISO on 5DC

Started by Buzzz57, January 24, 2013, 07:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzz57

OK, I have activated the Auto ISO feature for the 5Dc. The menu works, but the feature doesn't work properly. I have some ideas. I will experiment and let you know the result.

a1ex

Make sure auto_iso_tweak_step() is getting called (e.g. put some LED blinks from there); other than that, the code should be pretty generic. Enable the other items from the Expo menu to see if you can change ISO, aperture and shutter (I remember this was working). I'm not sure if these things are updated on 5Dc while display is off.

Buzzz57

I activated all the features from the Expo menu. Some works, others don't :
Works : EXPO_APERTURE / EXPO_SHUTTER / EXPO_ISO
Don't : WHITE_BALANCE / EXPO_ISO_HTP / EXPO_ISO_DIGIC / INTERMEDIATE_ISO_PHOTO_DISPLAY / ML_AUTO_ISO
For EXPO_LOCK and EXPO_PRESET, I'm not sure. I need to test deeper.

Buzzz57

auto_iso_tweak_step() is getting called for sure. When I put a Led test, the LED blinks all the time, even when the shutter is not half-pressed. Is that normal ?

When I try to use the feature in Av mode, it raises the ISO to the upper limit (1600) whatever the shutter speed is. So i guess there is an issue somewhere in the tests. However, I can't find if it come from an error in the comparison between set shutter speed and camera's speed, or if it is the ramping values that are too steep.

In Tv mode, it doesn't seem to do anything, and moreover, when I go back from Tv mode to Av mode, Av mode seems dead too. I need to switch the camera off and then back on to have Av mode raise the iso to 1600 again.

I wonder, is there a way to display debug values from the variants used during the tests ?

Buzzz57

Buzzz57

Well, I have gone further in my investigation.

Here is the issue that I have isolated :
the variants lens_info.raw_aperture and lens_info.raw_shutter are not updated correctly.

• lens_info.raw_aperture : this one is updated only in Av mode. It doesn't seem to get the aperture value that is computed by the camera in Tv mode.
  • lens_info.raw_shutter : this one is updated only in Tv mode. It doesn't seem to get the shutter value that is computed by the camera in Av mode.
I will dig further, but I'm not sure I can do much with my poor C knowledge.
If someone can help me...

Buzzz57

I can't do it alone.
I need to know where the values lens_info.raw_aperture and lens_info.raw_shutter are defined.

Buzzz57

nanomad

It may be a camera limitation
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Buzzz57

the values are necessarily calculated and stored somewhere in the memory. Aren't they ?
If not, how would the camera work in Av and Tv modes ?
I don't have the coding knowledge to go further now. If I'm alone on this one, it might take very long.
I'm surprised there is no other 5Dc owner interested.

scrax

I'll take a look at it also, with my poor knowledge, but after finished with the custom mode pull request for 600D

To find out prop you have to compile ML with CONFIG_DEBUGMSG    = 1 in the Makefile.useron the 600D, not yet tried on 5Dc.
With the new bin you will have more thing in debug menu like spy prop to see those prop when they change

tried it right now but don't works, nothing is shown since screen is off
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Buzzz57

Quote from: scrax on February 04, 2013, 03:41:25 PM
tried it right now but don't works, nothing is shown since screen is off
Yes, that's a big issue on the 5Dc.
I have tried to enable the console log to compensate but without any success.