[ALREADY WORKS] MAGIC LANTERN when NOT IN LIVE VIEW

Started by mr.vijayaraghavan, January 30, 2013, 12:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr.vijayaraghavan

I tried to search the subject in FAQ and SEARCH but couldn't find any; hence this question.  Is it possible to make the ML features available without having to use LIVE VIEW?  That way most photography-friendly features could be used by photographers who normally shoot by using the View Finder.  This also helps save lot of battery power as the camera is not on live view!

If it is already answered elsewhere please send the link (And bear with me for  :-[the repetition!!)

nanomad

What features do you have in mind? Some of them work in non-LV too while others need LV to do computations on the images
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

a1ex

mr.vijayaraghavan

Quote from: nanomad on January 30, 2013, 01:02:40 PM
What features do you have in mind? Some of them work in non-LV too while others need LV to do computations on the images
Quote from: nanomad on January 30, 2013, 01:02:40 PM

I mean features like ML screen with Magic Zoom, Histogram, crops et. al.

Francis

All of the same LV tools are available in image review mode just change Global Draw to On(all modes) under the Overlays menu.

As 'magic' as ML is, it can not turn an optical view finder into hybrid optical/EVF.

mr.vijayaraghavan

Quote from: Francis on January 30, 2013, 06:38:38 PM
All of the same LV tools are available in image review mode just change Global Draw to On(all modes) under the Overlays menu.

As 'magic' as ML is, it can not turn an optical view finder into hybrid optical/EVF.

Thanks for the information.

Francis

Too bad Canon is probably going to be the last manufacturer to have a hybrid display. I've been looking at that newly announced Fuji X100s and can't wait for the price to drop. Way more tempting than the M with pancake lens.

mr.vijayaraghavan

Quote from: Francis on January 30, 2013, 06:38:38 PM

Back again..! Sorry to bother; but in 7D VIEW FINDER one can use Canon's grid marks.  Whereas on 60d it is not possible.  On 60d the Canon girds only made available in LV.   ML adds crop marks, but that too in LV. If these could be made available in the viewfinder,.... some sort of overlaying.. etc.., (as in 7d), it would be great; isn't it?

a1ex

mr.vijayaraghavan

Quote from: a1ex on February 01, 2013, 11:25:02 AM
Magic Lantern can't break the laws of physics.
I understand..!  Too bad...I am not a science man: Even simple science doesn't get into my head.  Thanks Alex; but I may keep bothering this forum with such odd questions now and then...pl bear.

scrax

the physic behind is that in the viewfinder there isn't a display only a glass/plastic so ML or even canon can't show more than it's already there.
There is a little display in the bottom that show you exp, some icon and so on, but ML can't do nothing there, and the focus point are the only points that can change color in the glass of the viewfinder.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-