5D Mkii issues causing mutual nausea

Started by nick515, January 30, 2013, 09:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick515

Dear all,

5D Mkii with ML2.3 and 2.1.2. Was having a wail of a time with magic lantern, enjoying the huge amount of features, truly an amazing piece of work.

Unfortunately, today whilst shooting in a country far from home, I picked up my camera and started shooting, tried to switch to video and the live view wouldn't work (just a black screen)- now it doesnt even press. Then I tried to take photos and everything comes out with interesting static in it. So, I thought I may need to try removing ML and reinstalling. However, when i go to update firmware I get the dreaded Update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again.

Then, I went through the troubleshooting on your site, but in the frenzy I think I may have deleted the setting for bad ML config (rename /ML/SETTINGS/MAGIC.CFG to ML/SETTINGS/MAGIC.BAK ) as I cannot find this in the directory. (I basically have the downloaded Zip file unzipped.)

If anyone could lend a hand or knows where I could start, I would be hugely grateful. Feeling a little bit sick right now!

Thanks,
Nick

Michael Zöller

First, try without a card and in every dial mode.
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

nick515

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply and I like your "little match girl". I have tried without a card and every dial mode. The camera turns on, enters the dial mode display and autofocuses. It does not go into live view on any mode however and takes a picture- same bad quality pic with static (obviously its not stored though). Is there anything else I should try in this scenario?
Could it have caused a hardware issue that would require replacement of some parts?

Thanks again.
Nick

Michael Zöller

I'm afraid that a hardware error is very likely. But first there are a few more things you should try:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2296.0

With these special autoexecs you might get some insights. First try the led blinking one, then the logger and post the log here. Maybe we can spot something.

Glad you liked our little short. It was a crazy week :)
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

a1ex

Did you enable LiveView from Canon menus?

nick515

Hi Michael,

I tried the autoexecs but as far as I am aware they did not do anything. To explain what I did: I loaded the led blink autoexec and when I turned the camera on the CF card light lit up as per normal (I believe it is normal for it to flash once or twice normally). I believe the autoexec would have been more dramatic than that?

Then I tried the next autoex- the logger that said it would make the camera beep. Nothing happened again so I got to reading why that would be and I believe we had a few options: 1) Card was not bootable. This may have been the case so I ran MacBoot and succesfully made it bootable however this had no effect. 2) For some reason the camera wasn't booting it. This most likely looks to be the ML not loaded up option, however I think in the kerfuffle of my camera not working I probably had removed ML and as far as I can tell there is no trace of ML in there now- but then there may be some ill effects of my unorthodox behaviour and fragments of ML.

However I remember when I installed ML it didnt autoboot, instead I went to the "Update Firmware" and the ML ran from there. So this makes me think that it never had booted. So, as a question- What can I do to make it autoboot now when I can no longer do update firmware because of the strange error- is there some way to force the bootflag?

Thank you so much for your time.
Nick

a1ex

The update error message means either:
- a 5D2 FIR file is not in the root directory on the card
- the card was not formatted from camera
- the card is not recognized by Canon's bootloader (can happen with EyeFi or very large cards)