ML UI rationalization

Started by stevefal, January 29, 2013, 01:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevefal

Would like to know if toggling will be used everywhere there's an OFF or default.
Steve Falcon

a1ex

Some meters have an OFF position (let's say flash exposure compensation, WB shift, bitrate, display gain), others don't (shutter speed, bulb exposure time, FPS, focus step size).

Same for discrete choices:
- some have OFF/A/B (Trap focus, Cartoon look)
- others OFF/A/B/C or OFF/A/B/C/D or more (REC/STBY notification)
- others just A/B but without the ON/OFF meaning (histogram scaling: linear/log; focus settings: left/right or up/down directions; defishing projection: rectilinear/panini)
- others have more choices, and can't be turned off (picture style, audio input source)
- edit: another type which was not addressed: Enable power saving: on standby, REC, or both. REC key actions: start, stop, or both.

I think it's important to show if a feature is active (highlighted somehow) or turned off (inactive).

I don't think that by setting picmode = standard you are "turning off" the picture style, or that by setting ISO auto you are "turning off" the ISO. But for bitrate, setting it at 1x means you are turning off ML bitrate modifications.

stevefal

Great icon ideas. How about this..

Steve Falcon

screamer

had the same idea, what's better than a "play" icon?
+1 ;)
and i like all the other posts, the new gui concept is every day better. great work guys
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

scrax

Is possible to have the border of the submenu rounded and same color of title background like in the example here? I think it's more modern that way.

I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

wolf

I think that these variable icons only indicate the ability of changing a value for the item.
For values with an unknown range the icons are useful for displaying an approximately start, end and actual point of the value.
Didn't find yet an advantage in indicating that there are three values available.
So here the proposal which I tried to kept as simple as possible for not confusing anyone.

Edit: Think that the form of the icon shouldn't be round to display without color, think of the red mode, that these are different from the disc shaped ones.

stevefal

I think there's too much in the left-hand icons, and trying to show choices (dice, etc) confuses me.
Steve Falcon

wolf

QuoteIs the meter icon useful *just while setting it* for seeing how close you are to the beginning or end of a range?
For me it's sometimes helpful

stevefal

Quote from: a1ex on February 15, 2013, 07:31:25 PM
I don't think that by setting picmode = standard you are "turning off" the picture style, or that by setting ISO auto you are "turning off" the ISO.
I agree. Was thinking more "defaulting" when it makes sense. ISO submenu has green/gray LEDs but Expo/ISO doesn't. I don't get that.

I also get confused because I never know if you figure things are done.
Steve Falcon

a1ex

Of course, there are a few exceptions that are not consistent, you can't expect me to fine-tune every single menu item with every little change, no? (there are hundreds!)

But overall the menu looks quite logical to me. ML is designed for power users, so a bit of complexity shouldn't hurt. Can't figure out what each symbol means? just ignore it and look at the color: dark gray = OFF, some bright color = ON.

basovandrey

Hello.
One question for you.

Why "off" gray? In fact this tool is active and just disabled. This is only confusing.
Magic Zoom he correctly inactive and gray.
Propose that tools that are changing the button "Set", so make

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on February 15, 2013, 04:56:16 PM
Colors:
- booleans (just ON/OFF): use green LEDs
- integer: use blue indicators

Nice solution, thanks! But why are some texts in junkie mode white like "AudioR" and and most other black when the feature is disabled (sorry if I didn't find the proposal concerning that)?

Plus a small suggestion: in junkie mode the black text on dark grey or dark green is rather hard to read for me, just a little brighter background might make it easier while preserving the distinction.

a1ex

Gray OFF: see first post.

Junkie colors: #239, http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=4386.msg26451#msg26451

I also start to think that green for things that can be turned off, and blue for those that can't, is even more logical.

Readability fixes in progress.

wolf

Quote from: stevefal on February 16, 2013, 02:03:18 AM
Overall I think it's a mistake to try putting too much information in the left-hand icons. It's a false promise if users really use the text area in the first place for non-binary information.

I also agree that trying to visualize non-numeric choices (pies, dice, etc) doesn't work.

Same here.
ML should be usable in the most basic display mode which is for me gray. I think colors shouldn't transport information. There are also color-blind users.
I propose to keep it as simple as possible, but not to simple and try not to display the status of an item with different methods twice at the same time.

This already existing menu without icons gives me all information I need. Maybe it could improved by others, but for me it's almost perfect.

stevefal

Quote from: a1ex on February 16, 2013, 09:08:56 AM
Of course, there are a few exceptions that are not consistent, you can't expect me to fine-tune every single menu item with every little change, no? (there are hundreds!)

Not sure if this means a few things don't need to change or hundreds do.

QuoteBut overall the menu looks quite logical to me. ML is designed for power users, so a bit of complexity shouldn't hurt. Can't figure out what each symbol means? just ignore it and look at the color: dark gray = OFF, some bright color = ON.

That answers my question. Thanks.
Steve Falcon

Alex_TNT

gray dot = Not changed, Default
green dot = Changed, Active
red dot = Disabled, Inactive, Turned off

This is my portfolio website www.tntwebpage.com

scrax

Saw this and made me smile and think about ML too, so here you go:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

basovandrey

Greg

LV button is not used in the ML menu? (500D)

It's probably some error because the 500D does not have Q button.

a1ex

Greg

Where is it in the new menu?
Stack focus -> Trigger mode: Take a pic

scrax

Quote from: basovandrey on February 23, 2013, 05:31:15 PM
Hello.

I like it, similar to full screen submenus, but it gives more the idea of a submenu maybe.

Pelican

EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

Marsu42

Quote from: scrax on February 24, 2013, 05:00:40 AM
I like it, similar to full screen submenus, but it gives more the idea of a submenu maybe.

Well, since unfortunately :-( the nice transparency is gone and only a black background remains the pop up menu idea is perverted and I guess it makes sense to use all available space for the submenu - however I still like the current approach better since there's at least the static top navigation part of the screen that doesn't change creating less visual confusion, maybe that's just me :-\ ... my 2 cents is to restore the transparency.