Steve Falcon

stevefal

Steve Falcon

stevefal

Steve Falcon

stevefal

Steve Falcon

stevefal

How about hiding Audio, Movie tabs when not in movie mode..
Steve Falcon

Marsu42

Quote from: stevefal on February 12, 2013, 05:09:33 AM
Mask underlying menu completely.

What I like about the current opaque approach that most of the background is kept, so only information is added/subtracted and when the submenu disappears I know right where to read on. This basically is a modified reasoning like with full screen submenus, but the new "hide background" is a bit more agreeable since the menu bar is kept in place.

If I'm the only one with this perception please do implement it, but personally the "clean" argument is not sufficient for me, "clean" to what effect exactly? Is the opaque background just in the way of a specific idea about how design should be, or how does the opaque background hinder ml's usability - because this time there are no added benefits like more space. If the idea that the background is confusing, it's exactly the reverse of what I perceive.

Quote from: stevefal on February 12, 2013, 06:32:12 AM
Polish/simplify: Consider hiding Movie and Audio tabs when not in Movie mode - both regular and junkie modes.

Generally I'm in favor (<- please not this :-)) of your idea but see three problems:

* I recently discovered that "Audio Remote Shot" in is depending on the Audio stuff (Wind Filter, Mic Power...), and it's helpful to see the audio meters to have an idea of the trigger level vs. the background level, i.e. the danger of accidental release.

* The Movie menu has "Creative Effects" in it that is helpful for lv mode & manual focusing (focus peaking is easier with desaturate to b/w), actually that's the only item I have left in this menu

* People might want to leisurely change movie settings before going to movie mode because once in movie mode (at least on my 60d) the mirror flips instantly up, drawing battery power. Sure you can turn off lv again, but it's a hassle.

I hope these concerns can be worked out, esp. since I'm never doing a/v and even disabled these features in the binary.

scrax

Quote from: stevefal on February 12, 2013, 06:32:12 AM
Polish/simplify: Consider hiding Movie and Audio tabs when not in Movie mode - both regular and junkie modes. The Audio beeps submenu would have to be inaccessible outside Movie mode, but I think that's a small price to pay to remove two tabs that are irrelevant to still shooters.

This would especially help junkie mode which will pick up two-columns worth of extra horizontal space for text in other columns.
I need audio override also in photo mode to enable audio when Audio release is on :)
Also audio rec could be used in photo mode.
I'll prefer a junkie2 menu for movie mode instead
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

a1ex

Quote from: Marsu42 on February 12, 2013, 08:09:54 AM
focus peaking is easier with desaturate to b/w

Look in Focus Peaking submenu ;)

The movie image effects were not having any effect in photo mode last time I checked...

a1ex

Quote from: stevefal on February 12, 2013, 02:28:17 AM
6) remove left-hand icon entirely from valueless nesting items.

This shows if any of the submenu items is enabled (so you know, I have some creative effect enabled). I'd keep this.

stevefal

I think the left-hand submenu icon should be round too.
Steve Falcon

stevefal

QuotePeople might want to leisurely change movie settings before going to movie mode

That's true.
Steve Falcon

stevefal

I still like fullscreen submenus, but that's just me..
Steve Falcon

wolf

I guess I'm not the only one who likes full screen (sub)menus. ;-)

a1ex

Would be nice to have some history of how ML menu evolved, maybe starting from this (or even earlier):

a1ex

Back on-topic. I've implemented most of the proposed tweaks, and also added a few of my own. Here's how it looks now:

My additions:
- a discrete submenu indicator at the right (grayed out when not selected)
- submenus with a single item get promoted to pickbox or editbox
- pickboxes are working in submenus (more like an edit mode, rather than a nested submenu)
- icons keep the same shape when the item is disabled, just desaturated (grayed out). The exact shape is still subject to tweaking (e.g. icon for action items, or the volume sliders).

The navigation now feels quite logical to me with the new back/forward icons, these are effectively self-explaining. Great job!

Now, about those items that I chose not to implement:
- making OFF text white when selected - I don't see the point of this; it's already highlighted for readability, just not at full brightness.
- square LEDs: I actually like the round ones better
- crossout icon: I like the X better

stevefal

Quote from: a1ex on February 12, 2013, 06:20:19 PM
a discrete submenu indicator at the right (grayed out when not selected)
then maybe they should look like Q icon..
Steve Falcon

wolf

I just tried the newest version and caught myself scanning the line from left to right to [Q> and back to the item descripton. I think I could read the button hint faster if it would be in the icon integrated. However good improvement - self explaining button hints.

stevefal

I think the original left-hand icons are too much.
Steve Falcon

a1ex

My opinion is that the right submenu marker helps with discoverability. If you ask yourself what more advanced options are available, you can just look for those icons and try the submenus. If the hint is only on the selected item, you have to scroll through every single item and see if it shows [Q> at the end.

stevefal

I think the square icons and junkie tiles could look more alike.
Steve Falcon

stevefal

Quote from: a1ex on February 12, 2013, 07:40:19 PM
My opinion is that the right submenu marker helps with discoverability...

True..
Steve Falcon

stevefal

Steve Falcon

g3gg0

compliment to a1ex and stevefal for improving the menu on a daily basis :)
this gives magic lantern a fresh, comfortable look and feel.

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

stevefal

Quote from: g3gg0 on February 12, 2013, 09:49:03 PM
compliment to a1ex and stevefal for improving the menu on a daily basis :)
this gives magic lantern a fresh, comfortable look and feel.
Thx :) just goofin' around..
Steve Falcon