ML UI rationalization

Started by stevefal, January 29, 2013, 01:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrax

Quote from: a1ex on February 10, 2013, 08:57:28 PM
@scrax: if you choose 5 columns, it will switch to large fonts.

I've now set up a 5 colum layout with 2 item in audio 4 in Expo, shoot and Focus and 8 in MyMenu. Big font and really nice.
Now since PLAY can change value without opening dialogs can also be made to close the junkie menu after changing value? This will enable quick toggle of last changed item (since it will stay selected).

For example for Marsu42 he can close Junkie menu with ExpoLock selected and during shooting pressing Trash and then play will toggle it each time.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

wolf

QuoteLooks like a very good compromise
Yes - feels much better for me.

What do you think about replacing the help text with the menu entry?

a1ex

I'd keep at least one help line (the warning). When something gets grayed out, it may not be obvious why, and the help lines will tell you. For example, enable expo lock and bracketing - these two don't work together, and you may wonder why.

Also I'd keep the big menu entry line at the bottom. Some things may not be obvious when there are few characters. With that line, you notice right away that you are operating on the same menu items, and it's just a different display style.

1%

Wanted to try but:

menu.o: In function `menu_redraw_do':
menu.c:(.text+0x6d80): undefined reference to `strncpy'
menu.c:(.text+0x7428): undefined reference to `strncpy'

*bulb ramping works in LV with silent pics? It seems to?

Marsu42

Quote from: stevefal on February 10, 2013, 07:29:09 AM
ML Junkie

This is absolutely terrific, thanks! And I have to mention junkie is very fast and mode looks great with traditional submenus :->

Quote from: scrax on February 10, 2013, 09:08:14 PM
For example for Marsu42 he can close Junkie menu with ExpoLock selected and during shooting pressing Trash and then play will toggle it each time.

Yup, at least that's a 2-click solution - though as in the feature request quick access keys for different features and a confirmation would enable keeping the eye to the vf, the junkie mode is a (very welcomed) shortcut when looking at the display.

Greg

New menu for the camera with a touch screen?

stevefal

Steve Falcon

stevefal

How about putting the star and X in the same place.
Steve Falcon

a1ex

This breaks the following scenario:

Let's say you only use overlays, analog gain, bitrate, follow focus and contrast adjustment. Overlays are grouped in one menu, the others are scattered (each one in a separate menu). You could group the scattered features in My Menu, keep the Overlay menu, hide everything else and end up with two small menus.

In other words, you will no longer be able to create this menu:

stevefal

Entire tabs could be hidden..

Steve Falcon

stevefal

In fact, how about only one menu customization mode. SET rotates through no icon, star and X
Steve Falcon

a1ex

That will work. Just don't ask me to move the focus on the tab bar (it's not easy to code).

stevefal

Could have first item be the tab for hiding while in customization:

[Overlay Tab]
  Global Draw
  Zebras
Steve Falcon

Marsu42

Quote from: stevefal on February 11, 2013, 07:42:13 PM
Polish/simplify: Only one menu customization mode. When in the mode, pressing SET rotates through displaying no icon (normal), <star> (MyMenu), and "X" (hidden). This essentially gives you three levels of importance.

I nearly wrote the same thing as a feature request, but didn't for a reason - so I have to be Mr. Killjoy again: Currently I have some (sub)menu items in "My Menu", but hid them in the original location to avoid duplication. I rather like this possibility, so if at all I'd suggest *four* modes: none/star/hidden/both(star+hidden), the latter with a new icon or both icons next to each other. I know this is not exactly intuitive to newbies (here we go...) but personally I'd rather keep the current trunk system than loose this functionality.

stevefal

Steve Falcon

stevefal

..how about hide items in menus if they are in MyMenu
Steve Falcon

screamer

or, the opposite alternative, could be to hide mymenu in junkie mode
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

stevefal

but MyMenu is useful in junkie mode
Steve Falcon

screamer

i can understand. The only reason because i've proposed it, is because hiding items around change the "visual apparence" of the menus, so you can have things in different locations than expected. A way to avoid this could be to have the mymenu and all the things already present in mymenu are not visible in the others menu, but the empty place is there (don't know if my english was understandable)
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

stevefal

A gap could be weird. How about just hiding mymenu items in the regular menus
Steve Falcon

stevefal

I think there's

1) ON
2) OFF but available
3) OFF but ON in another mode
4) OFF and OFF in all modes
Steve Falcon

a1ex

(3) also includes some things like:
- HDR bracketing: can't be used if you also have Canon bracketing active.
- Expo Lock: can't be used if HDR bracketing is active
- Anamorphic preview can't be used together with defishing, so one of them is grayed out

I'd say there should be some sort of visual feedback when you enable a feature that's normally not available now.

Edit: implemented the simplified customizing mode (with implicit hiding). Seems straightforward, can't find any disadvantage compared to previous method.

stevefal

Quote from: a1ex on February 11, 2013, 10:35:00 PM
I'd say there should be some sort of visual feedback when you enable a feature that's normally not available now.
I think not too strong though
Steve Falcon

stevefal

It could be dark green only when on it..
Steve Falcon

stevefal

Steve Falcon